Notices
Military Military Aviation

Navy NFO to Major Airline Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 06:36 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2014

Originally Posted by HornetTexaco View Post
I've had my apps in to the majors for about four months with no bites yet, and working on fine-tuning at this point.
My advice is to upgrade to Captain at the Regional, log over 1000 hours PIC jet and you should be in the running!
Old 05-22-2019, 08:02 PM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

No, you’re actually just going to spend six paragraphs doing exactly that.
Cuz you obviously needed to hear it. It's for your own good.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:39 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jul 2017
Position: Navigator, Commercial Student Pilot

Current Active Duty Air Force E-8C Navigator almost done with my PPL. My intentions are to finish my ratings, then become a CFI until I get the hours for the regionals. I’m hoping to Palace Chase to a C-130 unit and continue to serve being a Nav in the guard or reserves. Would love to meet others out there who have taken a similar path or are on the journey themselves.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:50 AM
China Visa Applicant

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Midfield downwind

No, you’re actually just going to spend six paragraphs doing exactly that.
Well, that's the way to get started off on the correct foot with a new group you've joined and are asking for help from.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:02 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2014

Originally Posted by NAVIG8R View Post
Current Active Duty Air Force E-8C Navigator almost done with my PPL. My intentions are to finish my ratings, then become a CFI until I get the hours for the regionals. I’m hoping to Palace Chase to a C-130 unit and continue to serve being a Nav in the guard or reserves. Would love to meet others out there who have taken a similar path or are on the journey themselves.
A lot of us "civilian pilots" went the CFI track and yes we were in the Guard or Reserves as well. The fact you served in the military, whatever capacity, is a plus on the resume! The Regionals are looking for "qualified pilots".

Qualified and experienced are not the same thing! Bottom line, get ATP qualified! CFI is a proven pathway! However, buying a Cessna 150 and flying the hell out of it will work also! I am fascinated with these 135 outfits hiring SIC's flying Caravans and Pilatus aircraft. A few of these carriers have CASS privileges, so jumpseating to monthly drills is an option.

If you can get a "20 year letter", stick out the guard/reserves...one of my regrets! Also, there used to be a Civil Air Patrol category E reserve that earned retirement points without pay but things have changed.

Also, with your aeronautical experience, I would recommend taking the Certified Ground Instructor (CGI) both Advanced, Instrument and Fundamentals of Instructing. This FAA certificate does not require an Oral or Practical exam only a 70% or better on the three knowledge (written) exams. Utility may include teaching ground schools at the local flight schools or Civil Air Patrol, curriculum development at an airline (Cargo, Major, Regional or 135), not to mention getting you prepared for the CFI! You can buy the study guides cheap on amazon or other vendors like Gleim: https://www.gleimaviation.com/flight-instructors/

Good luck on your PPL checkride and fly safe! PM me if ??s

Last edited by 155mm; 05-23-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:29 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: Leftof longitudinal

....If you are a former NFO (or similar) currently at the majors, could you please post a bit about your background, the route you took to land that dream job, and any other pertinent details you think would be helpful for those following in your footsteps.

If you are a hopeful, post some stats about yourself, your career, and how things are going for you....
Not an NFO, flew with some who are now at majors and FedEx/UPS.
A-6, F-14,S-3, and E-2.
While in fleet and shore tours got at least PPL, several progressed from fleet to shore tour with commercial, multi CFI certificates. All ended up regionals and then destination airline.
They typically were on shorter end of min required hours based on military experience. Also we’re more consistent in training as dedicated training dollars
to train. Additionally, need to financially plan transition so can take low dollar wages while getting through first few years of civilian pilot jobs.
Good journeys!
SD
Old 05-23-2019, 09:48 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2014
Position: Pipers!

Welcome, and don't be fooled, it is a long hard road, but doable. Front load as much training as you can while you have AD pay. Get as much hours as you need to get picked up by a P135 passenger operation after you separate. Don't drop the ball on the palace chase, its tough to juggle and you want to make sure you find the right unit. Avoid a double commute to ANG/Reserve and your airline domicile. IF there is a place you can drill and drive to airline work, seriously consider moving there. Some folks say CFI is the route to go for hours while others say P135 Passenger Airline is better. Pros and cons to each, but not exactly the main topic of this thread. I did P135 and am thankful every day that I did.

There are very few of us, I know of one at SWA, one at AA, and one at UAL. It took all three a LONG time to get there through various routes, all so long ago that they are not really relevant to these times. I am still at a regional, but have been doing a lot of work on the mil side lately due to operational needs.

Good luck and feel free to PM if you have more questions.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:53 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2019

I'm on a similar journey.. instructing in PCola as an ICSO and about to start on my CFI/I..
Old 09-13-2019, 04:39 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jul 2018

Originally Posted by Phlyfan9 View Post
I'm on a similar journey.. instructing in PCola as an ICSO and about to start on my CFI/I..
I was an ICSO at PCola. I switched to the Reserves(non-flying) and now flying as a pilot. Keep working on that stuff! Your ICSO experience will def help you along the way.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:46 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: 7th green

Knew an ex-F14 RIO who ended up as an Alaska Captain.