Notices
Military Military Aviation

Navy NFO to Major Airline Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 08:56 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Packrat View Post
Knew an ex-F14 RIO who ended up as an Alaska Captain.
I know one who retired from mesa. YMMV.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:38 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2019

Originally Posted by weapon View Post
I was an ICSO at PCola. I switched to the Reserves(non-flying) and now flying as a pilot. Keep working on that stuff! Your ICSO experience will def help you along the way.
Thanks! I am working on it.. appreciate the moral support!
Old 01-21-2020, 10:04 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2012

Two Anchor .... to major airline ...

It happens all the time! I did it ... in my new hire class, there was another ....

Although timing is a significant contributor; from my last active duty squadron, we have more NFO's flying for a major airline than we have military rated pilots.

What you can log, however .... as opposed what you can use on a job application ...

When applying for the FAA ratings and for that regional job ... log and report EVERYTHING. If you were at the controls, log it! It's legal! It's good for insurance!

However .... when you step it up and are applying for that major gig -- be discerning. Only report the flight time that they want! There's a huge difference between part 61 loggable flight time and what the major's consider.

When I was interviewing for my the airline that I presently fly for .... they commented, "wow, you came to this point the hard way!" .... I commented .... "no, just a different way!"

Good luck all ... fly safe!
Old 01-29-2020, 02:48 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2020
Default Transition WSO to Airlines

Good day,

AD at 19 years, F-15E WSO, working on finishing my instrument right now with about 170hrs of GA time. Planning on finishing up in 3 years (ADSC due to bonus), and during that time getting up to CFII, etc and grabbing hours as I can.

Attempting to limit the time between retirement and getting hired by a regional. We are planning for the financial side of that impact so it isn't going to be drastic, but definitely would need to progress quickly on the hours. Primary right now is instructing to get the hours vice 135 as I want to stay with the family (3 kids), but if anyone as thoughts on that let me know.

Plan to apply for Skywest Pilot Pathway and probably others, since being an 'old' guy, need to get any benefit I can with this type of career change.

Appreciate the forum, looking forward to any feedback on my thoughts above...
Old 01-29-2020, 06:34 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Originally Posted by eriddler View Post
Good day,

AD at 19 years, F-15E WSO, working on finishing my instrument right now with about 170hrs of GA time. Planning on finishing up in 3 years (ADSC due to bonus), and during that time getting up to CFII, etc and grabbing hours as I can.

Attempting to limit the time between retirement and getting hired by a regional. We are planning for the financial side of that impact so it isn't going to be drastic, but definitely would need to progress quickly on the hours. Primary right now is instructing to get the hours vice 135 as I want to stay with the family (3 kids), but if anyone as thoughts on that let me know.

Plan to apply for Skywest Pilot Pathway and probably others, since being an 'old' guy, need to get any benefit I can with this type of career change.

Appreciate the forum, looking forward to any feedback on my thoughts above...
Should work out. CFI experience will do the trick.

Regarding the various "pathway" or cadet programs...

Choose your regional options based on geography, upgrade, and any other less-tangibles which matter to you. Then do their pathway programs if available. I would not select a regional(s) based on a pathway/cadet program, the benefits of that are minuscule compared to other factors I mentioned.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:18 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2020

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Should work out. CFI experience will do the trick.

Regarding the various "pathway" or cadet programs...

Choose your regional options based on geography, upgrade, and any other less-tangibles which matter to you. Then do their pathway programs if available. I would not select a regional(s) based on a pathway/cadet program, the benefits of that are minuscule compared to other factors I mentioned.
Thanks for the comments...not planning on choosing a regional based on the pathway/cadet. More inline with your comment...I'd do the pathway if it lines up.

With a pension, also unsure of if moving up to CA fast is the best option or will be as required as maybe for a 22 year old out of ERAU; likely would prioritize family.
Old 01-30-2020, 06:36 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Thanks for the comments...not planning on choosing a regional based on the pathway/cadet. More inline with your comment...I'd do the pathway if it lines up.

With a pension, also unsure of if moving up to CA fast is the best option or will be as required as maybe for a 22 year old out of ERAU; likely would prioritize family.
Your career progression will be very civilian in nature. You already have some resume color/whole person but will need competitive flight times. So if you want to get the pay and QOL of a major asap, it will behoove you to take the first upgrade available. Ultimately you have to determine the right balance.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:32 AM
Perennial Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2018

If you really want to prioritize family then take the first upgrade available. Seniority is the name of the game and for every month you diddle around you are going to be behind about 80 additional people at your ultimate destination, where you’ll be for almost 20 years. Unless there is some compelling family event you absolutely HAVE to delay for, don’t defer an upgrade.

and trust me, even the CR@PPIEST reserve schedule is INFINITELY better than the best unaccompanied tour you ever did.
Old 08-10-2022, 06:48 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Oct 2020
Default Ex Super-NFO-SWO

If I can do it, so can you.

Arrived in pensacola in 91 only to learn that there was a 24 month back log wait to start primary, with no stash ensign slots available anywhere. Six months later, the navy came up with a better idea for our class and poof, we were all to be super-nfo students. Like others alluded to, those 12 familiarization rides ruined me at least for being anything other than a pilot. I quietly switched to surface warfare, worked on my ratings with american flyers while in port, and dropped my letter prior to facing the next set of orders. Late night freight, sketchy commuters, and one failing legacy later, I made it to the majors in just under 8 years. 23 years later, if asked if the juice was worth the squeeze? Absolutely, yes.

B58TC,ATR42/72,J31,FE,727,M88,737,757,767,A330
Old 10-20-2022, 02:42 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jun 2018

As others said, it CAN be done!!! But it will/can take a while. I went through the 'Super NFO' program 93-95 and flew in Prowlers until late 99. I then did and instructor tour in P'Cola at VT-10 and got talked into joining the Guard from all of the 'joint' tour AF guys we had on the premises. I was lucky enough to get an inter-service transfer and got picked up for a UPT class at the end of my active duty commitment to the active duty Navy. Fortunately I had already gotten my PPL prior to going to UPT, and also had a fair amount of 'stick' time as a student and later as an FCF NFO in the backseat of the T-34 Turbo Weenie, so UPT wasn't that bad unless you count being treated like a 3-year old even as a rated Captain in the Air Force. I went through Laughlin AFB and NAS Corpus Christi to eventually go on to fly MC and HC-130s. A couple of years later I got hired by a regional and did the traditional guard thing while splitting my time between the two. I wound up staying there longer than I wanted as this was part of the lost decade. I didn't have much PIC to speak of at the time so it probably wouldn't have mattered anyway. Eventually I got hired by a SFO based major at the beginning of the wave in 13 (timing is everything) and have been flying WB's most of my time here and I love it! So yes it definitely can be done. Persevere and try to have an open mind when presented with advice and pathways to further your career. Good luck in all of your endeavors.