twin Otter to go back into production

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 2 of 2
Go to
Nope, I flew the Twotter before I ever flew a jet. I didn't like it back then either. I didn't think it was a safe airplane in the strong winds and turbulence you get in Las Vegas during the spring/summer months. Plus it was so turbulent that it was just miserable flying that thing over the canyon in the summertime; nothing like having a dozen asian tourists puking in the back. I felt like I was beat up after each leg. Plus the air conditioning doesn't really get to the cockpit so you have to open a window or stick you head near the little vent in the side window.
We flew the DHC-6-300 model with the PT6A-27's and 4 blade props rated at 620-shp.
We had one captain slide off the side of the runway loaded with passengers in strong winds at VGT. It bent one of the wings up and popped a tire right off the rim...he was a pretty experienced pilot too, a furloughed B727 instructor.
I landed 5 minutes before he did in a 60 degree xwind, 26kt gusting to 34. Even after we were firmly on the ground, that Twotter kept trying to weather vane into the wind. I slowed down and rolled all the way to the end of the runway and the damn airplane still wanted to slide sideways.
I don't know where you're getting 1500fpm climb from, maybe the three bladed props climb better than the 4 bladed. We would only get that climb rate when we were near empty or on cold days.
It fulfills a role, but that doesn't mean I like it.
But yes, it can land short. Too bad the Grand Canyon airport is 9000ft long.
Well it can't be all things to all people. But it's still a good plane.
1  2 
Page 2 of 2
Go to