All electric commuter (9 pax) aircraft

Subscribe
2  8  9  10  11  12 
Page 12 of 12
Go to
Quote:
There was a post about the weight of the batteries, aircraft Max Gross, and useful load. The batteries were over half the weight of the plane. I’d guess they are in the wings, which is why the motors were tip-mounted...for weight distribution and bending-moment. I’m not sure if these batteries are the type that can spontaneously combust like Lithium, but a battery fire in a thin wing does not bode well for structural integrity.
I'm not sure a LiPo fire under everybody's hind quarters is much better!
https://youtu.be/2y1FK0YXFdQ

Light sport electric
Quote: I'm not sure a LiPo fire under everybody's hind quarters is much better!
That's the other big issue with airplane batteries... pushing the boundaries on specific energy is the name of the game, all of these developers are designing electric/hybrid/UAM today on the premise that the business case depends on significantly better batteries being available in a few years, about the time these things are certified and ready to take off.

Bleeding edge battery tech is fundamentally incompatible with batteries which don't catch on fire

If they push the envelope too hard on that they are going to set themselves back by a couple decades when flaming electric planes full of flaming, screaming pax start falling out of the sky.
Quote: All these news stories about "Electric Aviation is around the corner!" make for great press, and I'm sure a lot of clicks for MSNBC/Fox/CNN, etc. But the devil-is-in-the-details, and all of these "proposals" are woefully short on details.
Airbus is currently working with SAS on a hybrid electric aircraft...
2  8  9  10  11  12 
Page 12 of 12
Go to