Passport Renewal Time

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
I recently had to renew my passport and it reminded me that every time I've done this, I had to send in the old/existing one with the application. What do you do about this when you're flying the line and needing it on a regular basis? Do you just notify crew scheduling that you can't leave the country for a few weeks? And are they OK with that? Some other work-around?
Quote: I recently had to renew my passport and it reminded me that every time I've done this, I had to send in the old/existing one with the application. What do you do about this when you're flying the line and needing it on a regular basis? Do you just notify crew scheduling that you can't leave the country for a few weeks? And are they OK with that? Some other work-around?
https://thepointsguy.com/guide/how-t...-us-passports/
You do a same day renewal at a passport center.
I have two passports for those instances or for visas—one is the normal ten-year, the other a four-year.

GF
Quote: You do a same day renewal at a passport center.
Not always. Last time I renewed I made an appointment at the local passport office. Showed up, all docs ready to go. Was told they had too many to process same day and it would be a day or two until they could process mine.

YMMV
Quote: Not always. Last time I renewed I made an appointment at the local passport office. Showed up, all docs ready to go. Was told they had too many to process same day and it would be a day or two until they could process mine.

YMMV
Yes, if you're local no big deal just start the process when you have a few days off. If you have to travel to the passport center, I'd make an appointment for first thing and be there waiting when they open the door.

But if you're not a commuter and it works in your favor to stay domestic for a few weeks, then process it by mail and tell scheduling you can't leave the country (make sure they don't have a policy requiring and paying for expedited renewal).
Thank you!
I just did the standard and it was five weeks. It’s a mail in process now and no need to go to the post office. For an extra $60 you can do expedited in a couple weeks.

[DELETED SECURITY INFO]
Quote: I just did the standard and it was five weeks. It’s a mail in process now and no need to go to the post office. For an extra $60 you can do expedited in a couple weeks.
Timeline for standard can vary year-to-year, but my family just did theirs and it was also about five weeks.
Quote: You do a same day renewal at a passport center.
COVID has made this question a little more interesting. The passport agencies have totally shut down any sort of expedited service. Aircrews are being allowed to go in person, but you need a letter signed by a supervisor validating the urgent need. Then you can make an appointment (the direct number to get an appointment is 517-886-3266.
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to