FAA license/medical with a drug poss charge?

Subscribe
My younger brother is looking to get into aviation but he got pegged for possession of marijuana a couple years back. Actually he was charged with intent to distribute but it got dropped to possession. He knows that the airlines are basically not an option for him at all. He’s looking to start one of those Aerial Application schools later this year.

Will he be able to receive a medical certificate?
Two issues I can think of...

1. Substance abuse. They will want to know that he's clean. That will require some evaluation and probably HIMS. I suspect that nobody would consider it plausible that a drug dealer would not also be a user.

2. Criminal activity. This is often considered evidence of mental health/personality disorders. Simple possession would not be an issue in this context, only #1 above would apply. But you cannot lie to the FAA, they will probably want the details of the conviction which is going to be more complicated since it involved drug dealing. So possibly an uphill battle there.

I suspect he can get a medical eventually if this is his only blackmark. A repeat history on either count would be very problematic.

The process might be smoother if he uses an aviation medical consultant before talking to the FAA, but I'm sure an AME could sort it out eventually.
Thanks for the reply. To my knowledge this is his only black mark. I was wondering if he’d have to undergo HIMS. I’m familiar with HIMS being a graduate of the program myself but don’t know anything about how they deal with drugs. He’ll obviously have to report it on his medical application but will he have to report that when going for his first private pilot checkride? I just don’t want him to sink a bunch of money into this for nothing.

Any chance you can point me in the right direction to find and aviation medical consultant?

Thanks again.
Start here:

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...itionTable.pdf

And hope it doesn’t end up here:

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...DA_Initial.pdf

If it was NOTHING BUT MARIJUANA they MIGHT cut him a break.
Quote: Thanks for the reply. To my knowledge this is his only black mark. I was wondering if he’d have to undergo HIMS. I’m familiar with HIMS being a graduate of the program myself but don’t know anything about how they deal with drugs. He’ll obviously have to report it on his medical application but will he have to report that when going for his first private pilot checkride? I just don’t want him to sink a bunch of money into this for nothing.

Any chance you can point me in the right direction to find and aviation medical consultant?

Thanks again.
To my knowledge all of the screening for checkrides and the ATP moral character requirement is actually done when you apply for a medical. If he has a medical, he can take the checkride.

These guys are well known...

https://www.aviationmedicine.com/
Marijuana being legal in like what...30 states now?
Thank the Lord the FAA is 30 years behind everything.
Pass the bong please.