British CAA class 1 eyesight requirements

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
Hello!
I'm Ben, I'm studying physics and maths and further maths at the minute. When I'm done with school, I'm looking at being a pilot for a possible career. The only problem being that although I meet the requirements for visual acuity in the CAA guidance materials, my longsightedness is corrected with +9 diopteres and an astigmatism that I'm not sure by how much it's corrected. (apologies if this is unclear, I'm not an optician). In the documents it states that anything above the limits "May be assessed as fit provided that there are no other ocular abnormalities and no significant ocular pathology can be demonstrated." What does that mean?
I meet the medical on all other points, and it would be a shame if I went through life thinking I couldn't fly when I could have all along. How likely is it that I'll be failed? Is it even worth going to see an AME? Do you have any advice moving forwards?
Can’t say for CAA, but the common standard is correctable to 20/20, near and distant. I’d take a physical and let THEM fail you and pursue any avenues for waiver.

GF
So it's possible to get a waiver of some sort? Do you have a source where I can find out about that?
Quote: So it's possible to get a waiver of some sort? Do you have a source where I can find out about that?
No, I don’t know the process, I’m FAA. It will begin if and when you fail the physical. Don’t eliminate yourself, let the doctor say you don’t having qualifying vision. At that point, he can tell you IF the CAA will grant a waiver and to apply. It all begins at the flight surgeon, not a web forum.
Alright, thank you
Quote: So it's possible to get a waiver of some sort? Do you have a source where I can find out about that?
In the US (FAA) if you can see 20/20 distant, you're good. Any correction is allowed. Near/mid vision (usually only an issue for older people is something like 20/40, so that's early an issue.

UK/EU could be somewhat different (the US used to have a limit on correction, I know some countries still do). I'd ask the question on pprune.org, we're mostly US pilots here.

Also in the US (and presumably UK) it's not uncommon to get waivers for slight exceedances of things like hearing and vision standards.
Maybe I'll move to America haha, I wouldn't be surprised if the CAA changed their rules in the not too distant future. Fingers crossed anyways, thank you.
EASA class 1 is no joke. The initial often takes a full day. pprune.org for better advice.
I'm pretty sure you won't get a first class, since there are upper limits, max. +6 correction for the initial.
Yeah, I don't think so, but I'm a candidate for corrective surgery soon. I'll keep hoping.
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to