DoD SkillBridge and Career Skills Program

Notices
Military Military Aviation

DoD SkillBridge and Career Skills Program

Old 06-18-2021, 02:24 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2015

Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
Does anyone else have any updates or success stories? Also, how long did it take to obtain your CFI, or other ratings, while working full time in the military? I have about two years left and recently got the flying bug. First step is obviously get my PPL and see how it goes, but this definitely seems like an interesting career choice.
Take a look at RTAG they have a lot of info on getting your ratings etc while in the military or separating from the military.
Old 10-17-2021, 01:41 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Oct 2021

Got a similar one,

Anyone know anything about using Skillsbridge and not looking for an CFI or CFII. Basically I just need 200 or so hours for my ATP. I've got a Cessna 162 so I'm looking for somewhere to let me fly for a few months before I punch out spring 24. (I know, pipe dream)
Old 11-21-2021, 05:45 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Apr 2017

I am an active duty pilot at Randolph and started a 6 month Skillbridge with a flight school on Nov 1. I was able to curtail 109 days of my UPT ADSC based on a Director of Ops job offer from the school. To sweeten the deal for the AF (they probably wouldn't have let me go 6 months prior without this), I still fly as an IFF IP twice a week to stay current/proficient in the jet for my transition to the reserves. I was 200 hours short of 1500 (plan is airlines) when I decided to separate and get real hours at a flight school rather than .8 at a time in the T-38. High flyer at the school gets ~150 a month. I've never gotten even close to that in an entire year as a fighter pilot.

I have been learning 6 different airplanes, and it's quite a bit of information. Cirrus SR-20/22/22T, TBM 850, Seneca II (Which I just got R-ATP via MIL2ATP - HIGHLY recommend) and a DA-42. The longer you stay at the company, generally the more you can expect they'll invest in you. There's a few other skillbridge bros here but they are in/out = not getting trained in the TBM. The job offer is a fantastic backup if the majors don't call.

I could only get an MEI-I from my MCI, so sooner than later I will need to get a CFI topoff. Right now I get good flying just flying around fractional owners in the cirrus/tbm. I talked to a CFI bro who is an IP at Seymour, working part-time at mil2atp - the CFI topoff can be challanging depending on what maneuvers the DPE asks of you.

Old 11-21-2021, 12:28 PM
Occasional box hauler

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by Steverin06 View Post
I am an active duty pilot at Randolph and started a 6 month Skillbridge with a flight school on Nov 1. I was able to curtail 109 days of my UPT ADSC based on a Director of Ops job offer from the school. To sweeten the deal for the AF (they probably wouldn't have let me go 6 months prior without this), I still fly as an IFF IP twice a week to stay current/proficient in the jet for my transition to the reserves. I was 200 hours short of 1500 (plan is airlines) when I decided to separate and get real hours at a flight school rather than .8 at a time in the T-38. High flyer at the school gets ~150 a month. I've never gotten even close to that in an entire year as a fighter pilot.

I have been learning 6 different airplanes, and it's quite a bit of information. Cirrus SR-20/22/22T, TBM 850, Seneca II (Which I just got R-ATP via MIL2ATP - HIGHLY recommend) and a DA-42. The longer you stay at the company, generally the more you can expect they'll invest in you. There's a few other skillbridge bros here but they are in/out = not getting trained in the TBM. The job offer is a fantastic backup if the majors don't call.

I could only get an MEI-I from my MCI, so sooner than later I will need to get a CFI topoff. Right now I get good flying just flying around fractional owners in the cirrus/tbm. I talked to a CFI bro who is an IP at Seymour, working part-time at mil2atp - the CFI topoff can be challanging depending on what maneuvers the DPE asks of you.

Regarding the CFI topoff check. My understanding is that the best route is to add single engine ATP to your multi ATP(one checkride), than take the check for adding your single engine CFI. I would strongly recommend talking to your DPE ahead of time so there are no surprises. There is very little actually required for both checks which maybe why some DPEs feel the need to add random stuff.
Old 11-17-2022, 07:03 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Anyone used skill bridge recently to just fly the line with an operator like Wheels Up? I see they are on the employers list.

I’ve already got a lot of BE40 hrs just kinda looking for an intro to pax ops before airlines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2022, 04:26 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2017
Position: RW instructor pilot and Maintenance test pilot

Talk to Chris at mil2atp for something like that. But I can't see you getting to fly passengers for wheelsup, etc. You would be displacing a pilot from a paid position. I gotta imagine that's the type of thing that would destroy any airline group, especially if they have a union.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2023, 11:12 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2022

Quick attempt at a thread revival.

I'll have about 1500TT (mostly AF helicopters) prior to separating. I have minimal fixed wing experience (T-6 only) so I'm considering forking over $35K to just time build to 250FW PIC. Does anyone know of a Skillbridge that would then pay for my CMEL and allow me to fly for them for a couple months to time build? I'm specifically thinking of a cargo operator that would just need an additional pilot. I'm not necessarily interested in CFI because I don't have the fixed wing experience, but I'd be open to that if that was the only opportunity to get flight hours.

In the same vein, should I pay for my own MEL to make myself more competitive?

Any advice you guys have would be great.
Old 11-06-2023, 01:02 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2017

Originally Posted by PilotWannaBe View Post

I'll have about 1500TT (mostly AF helicopters) prior to separating. I have minimal fixed wing experience (T-6 only) so I'm considering forking over $35K to just time build to 250FW PIC. Does anyone know of a Skillbridge that would then pay for my CMEL and allow me to fly for them for a couple months to time build? I'm specifically thinking of a cargo operator that would just need an additional pilot. I'm not necessarily interested in CFI because I don't have the fixed wing experience, but I'd be open to that if that was the only opportunity to get flight hours.

contact rtag. They can point you in a good direction.
Old 11-08-2023, 06:02 AM
Occasional box hauler

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by PilotWannaBe View Post

I would not dismiss CFI as a time building route. It offers you the flexibility to work around your military obligations while building time. You should have far greater airmanship at this point than the average new CFI. RTAG can probably give you a very good idea of the best choices available.
Old 11-08-2023, 07:48 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by tnkrdrvr View Post
I would not dismiss CFI as a time building route. It offers you the flexibility to work around your military obligations while building time. You should have far greater airmanship at this point than the average new CFI. RTAG can probably give you a very good idea of the best choices available.
I agree, T-6/T-34 primary time is more than sufficient background for civilian CFI work.