DoD SkillBridge and Career Skills Program

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 11:34 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2019
Default DoD SkillBridge and Career Skills Program

https://dodskillbridge.usalearning.gov/index.htm

https://www.afpc.af.mil/Separation/CSP/

Anyone have any experience/success utilizing the DoD SkillBridge program for getting advanced pilot ratings (Instrument, Commercial, CFI, ATP, etc) as well as working as a CFI or some other commercial effort to build hours towards ATP minimums? I'm just getting started with the retirement process (TAP next week).

Thanks,

Phlyfan9
Old 09-13-2019, 08:31 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2016
Position: CRJ FO

Originally Posted by Phlyfan9 View Post
https://dodskillbridge.usalearning.gov/index.htm

https://www.afpc.af.mil/Separation/CSP/

Anyone have any experience/success utilizing the DoD SkillBridge program for getting advanced pilot ratings (Instrument, Commercial, CFI, ATP, etc) as well as working as a CFI or some other commercial effort to build hours towards ATP minimums? I'm just getting started with the retirement process (TAP next week).

Thanks,

Phlyfan9
I bleed blue, but officially retired from the Army, so it is redundant to say my process was much more difficult!

I searched my old emails/data to find my SkillBridge information but came up empty. During my TAP experience, several local companies briefed opportunities available in the area which were well established and easily approved. However, I attempted something along the lines of your question instead. Per my local TAP office, I had to provide a program outline for the specific request I was trying to create. I was able to get a tentative outline approved by the TAP office and the airline, but was never able to get the chosen flight school on board with approving the document for final submission. Unfortunately I was limited to a specific flight school due to the relationship with the company I received a CJO from.

Your local office should be able to provide you with the necessary requirements to establish your own program. I think my option was limited to 90-120 days, so this may limit your ability to train and then instruct. There may also be limitations to "working" rather than an unpaid "internship."
Old 09-13-2019, 03:36 PM
On Reserve

Thanks for the reply.. my commander is on board, and I know a local flight school has accepted some RTAG folks thru the skillbridge, so there is hope.. I plan on getting my CFI/II using VA benefits, then try to intern as an instructor as part of the skillbridge. I'll update as I have new info, as I imagine I'm not the only one wanting to do this.
Old 10-29-2019, 11:15 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2018

Thanks for the reply.. my commander is on board, and I know a local flight school has accepted some RTAG folks thru the skillbridge, so there is hope.. I plan on getting my CFI/II using VA benefits, then try to intern as an instructor as part of the skillbridge. I'll update as I have new info, as I imagine I'm not the only one wanting to do this.
Any progress with this? I have a CJO but need my ME time. Would love to not exclusively use my days off for this.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:18 AM
On Reserve

Originally Posted by nate5ks View Post
Any progress with this? I have a CJO but need my ME time. Would love to not exclusively use my days off for this.
Congrats on the CJO.

I'm still working on my CFI ratings.. local school has said they don't see why they wouldn't be able to let me intern there while I instruct, once I have my certs. I think the RTP guys who used the skillbridge were already hired like you, and so the airline was paying for their hours while the military was still paying salary?

not sure if that helps..
Old 11-18-2019, 08:07 PM
Line Holder

Congrats on the CJO.

I'm still working on my CFI ratings.. local school has said they don't see why they wouldn't be able to let me intern there while I instruct, once I have my certs. I think the RTP guys who used the skillbridge were already hired like you, and so the airline was paying for their hours while the military was still paying salary?

not sure if that helps..
My CO just said he'd sign my application. Not sure if I'll run into a problem with my chosen flight school not being on the list of approved JTEST-AI providers. Although one could argue that a provider only needs to meet certain criteria to be considered "approved" and not a part of an official list. I'll provide detailed updates when I get this done as the process isn't very straightforward.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:26 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Mar 2020

nate5ks, were you able to get a flight school approved for SkillBridge? I'm transitioning out of the Navy in about a year and would love to be able to work on my ratings through SkillBridge so that I can move right into instructing when I get out. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-12-2020, 04:25 PM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by LDA117 View Post
nate5ks, were you able to get a flight school approved for SkillBridge? I'm transitioning out of the Navy in about a year and would love to be able to work on my ratings through SkillBridge so that I can move right into instructing when I get out. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
As of right now, no due to manning. I am resubmitting my request periodically but we will need some warm bodies to get qualified and fill chairs in order to make it work. They don't have to approve it.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:10 AM
On Reserve

Congrats on the CJO.

not sure if that helps..
I finished up the CFI Academy at American Flyers in Texas and just took my CFI/II checkrides last week. skillbridge was approved in February, and I'm starting this week. Interesting times with all the COVID-19, but still on my way. So anyone curious if the CFI route is possible under the DoD Skillbridge - it definitely is, and works.. biggest hurdle I've seen from others is getting it approved by your commander - which for me wasn't a problem.
Cheers
Old 06-15-2021, 10:53 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jun 2021
Position: :(

I finished up the CFI Academy at American Flyers in Texas and just took my CFI/II checkrides last week. skillbridge was approved in February, and I'm starting this week. Interesting times with all the COVID-19, but still on my way. So anyone curious if the CFI route is possible under the DoD Skillbridge - it definitely is, and works.. biggest hurdle I've seen from others is getting it approved by your commander - which for me wasn't a problem.
Cheers
Does anyone else have any updates or success stories? Also, how long did it take to obtain your CFI, or other ratings, while working full time in the military? I have about two years left and recently got the flying bug. First step is obviously get my PPL and see how it goes, but this definitely seems like an interesting career choice.