Masters degree while at the regional airline.

Subscribe
Hello. I am wondering if a low cost Masters degree would be worth while in pursuing a job with the big three legacy airlines. I have a BA from a aviation university and recently completed captain upgrade. I can do the masters online at a reasonable cost.

I have all civilian background
Thank you
I got hired at UAL in 2015 fairly low time. I think my masters along with other resume builders helped a lot. When I was hired I had my degree (aerospace) masters (Saftey management systems); I did ASAP ERC work and did professional standards. I also rolled all of that experience along with some special assignments into a instructor position at United.

The more you can do outside of just flying the line the better IMHO. Hope that helps.
It is a competitive world. If ALL ELSE IS EQUAL, then having that one extra box checked may get you the interview call instead of the other guy.

Joe
Yes if you can afford the time and money it's worth checking the box.
Quote: Hello. I am wondering if a low cost Masters degree would be worth while in pursuing a job with the big three legacy airlines. I have a BA from a aviation university and recently completed captain upgrade. I can do the masters online at a reasonable cost.

I have all civilian background
Thank you
I went to Delta State.
Best bang for your buck masters in aviation.
It definitely stood out in my interview (JB).
Quote: I went to Delta State.

Do they count any credit for military courses (Squadron Officer School, Safety School, Etc.) or for having your ATP? Also, how much time per night/week do you spend on coursework? I’m highly considering this, but would have to pay out of pocket.
Quote: Do they count any credit for military courses (Squadron Officer School, Safety School, Etc.) or for having your ATP? Also, how much time per night/week do you spend on coursework? I’m highly considering this, but would have to pay out of pocket.
Not for a masters.
How much time you spend is really up to you. It's a "get out what you put in" type of program.
There are several online discussions that you must participate in on a weekly basis, and must post something like four substantive posts. There's not a lot of homework per se, but a considerable amount of reading, and obviously lots of papers. I don't recall how many, but I wrote many 8-15 page research papers and one 34 page one.
None of it was overly taxing, just a lot of grinding it out.
Quote: I went to Delta State.
I was interested in Delta State... until I saw this:

https://youtu.be/fdlhuESK-Kw