Looking for operational intel at PLCH

Subscribe
Hello,

Heading to PLCH - Christmas Island in a few weeks and I'm not having much luck finding information about the airport and operations. Jeppeson seems to have very little in the way of airport-specific information and the briefing material provided by ARINC isn't very helpful either. If anyone can point me to a good information source, and/or has first-hand knowledge, I would be very grateful.

Thank you!
Quote: Hello,

Heading to PLCH - Christmas Island in a few weeks and I'm not having much luck finding information about the airport and operations. Jeppeson seems to have very little in the way of airport-specific information and the briefing material provided by ARINC isn't very helpful either. If anyone can point me to a good information source, and/or has first-hand knowledge, I would be very grateful.

Thank you!

Used to fly their when I was with Fiji Airways

https://acukwik.com/Airport-Info/PLCH

https://flightbridge.com/Directory/A...3608154?page=7

Good people with good intentions. Many a time had to do my own W&B as their communications seemed to be down more than up. Easy to file, request, and pick up clearances through San Francisco HF / or Sat Phone. You have to arrange for fuel well in advance. Accommodations, if needed, but very spartan to say the least.

Beware of large crabs on the runway. Bring a cooler with you... you can call in advance to buy fresh rock lobsters. They’re huge, probably from the “A” Bomb test. But they grill up and taste just fine, as long as you’ve got lots of garlic butter. The good news is that none of us have glowed in the dark. For what its worth, I’ve seen an occasional C-404, and C-421 transiting from the South Pacific to the US. Their next stop of Hilo or Kona. That said if your aircraft is a 100 Octane consumer, gas can be delivered at a hefty premium too.
Last time I used it as an ETP alternate, Jepp said, good luck if you land there. Runway wasn’t in the best of shape and getting parts in (it was set as an alternate for OEI) wasn’t gonna be easy or cheap.

GF
Quote: Last time I used it as an ETP alternate, Jepp said, good luck if you land there. Runway wasn’t in the best of shape and getting parts in (it was set as an alternate for OEI) wasn’t gonna be easy or cheap.

GF
Not going to throw the BS card on the table. Based on my personal experience even before FJ, you’ve received bad intel. Expensive... yes... airlifted, probably by FJ. Difficult... negative. From personal experience, along with fellow ferry colleagues who also ferried airframes from Austral-Asia to the US. The adult beverages and fresh sea food and great people took the sting out of being broke down on the island... just saying.
All good info - thank you guys.
just curious. Why are you going there?
Quote: just curious. Why are you going there?
Sorry to resurrect an old thread; apparently the fishing was "world class" over there.

It was an experience to say the least.
Was there in the 90's on a ferry flight. Interesting place. Was a testing ground for the British nuclear weapons program in the 50's.

World class Bonefish angling.

Also was a big migratory bird location though if I remember correctly this has dropped off due to climate change.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiritimati