Letters of recommendation

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
Working for a regional and I’m curious on how you guys got your letters of recommendations?

I’ve been told to ask jump seaters when they fly with me but I asked a delta guy and he shut me down, haha. I don’t think it was my flying, he just said he didn’t know me. Anyone have a better approach? Another way was to ask around my current regional and see who’s moving up to the majors, but finding someone that’s moving on that happens to be flying with me has become ineffective too.

How have you been approached for a letter or how did you get your letters? Thanks!
Quote: Working for a regional and I’m curious on how you guys got your letters of recommendations?

I’ve been told to ask jump seaters when they fly with me but I asked a delta guy and he shut me down, haha. I don’t think it was my flying, he just said he didn’t know me. Anyone have a better approach? Another way was to ask around my current regional and see who’s moving up to the majors, but finding someone that’s moving on that happens to be flying with me has become ineffective too.

How have you been approached for a letter or how did you get your letters? Thanks!
Asking someone who has known you for an hour on the jumpseat is ridiculous.
Quote: Asking someone who has known you for an hour on the jumpseat is ridiculous.
Thanks for your feedback
Quote: Working for a regional and I’m curious on how you guys got your letters of recommendations?

For letters to have any bearing, the person providing the letter - at a minimum - should be able to unequivocally support your abilities as an airline pilot, with the idea that your prospective new employer can contact this person as a source of further information.

A jumpseater you just met is a no-go. What’s the millennial term? “I just can’t.”
Quote: Asking someone who has known you for an hour on the jumpseat is ridiculous.
I've married women in less time.
Start networking 2-3 years ago.
Pay attention when friends announce they’ve been hired on Facebook, LinkedIn, APC, etc. Keep in touch with people. Be sociable.
While not internal recs, I brought a couple letters of rec from check airman I did CA IOE with to my interview. Not sure if it helped, but I got the job.
I’m having a flashback to when our Delta jumpseater has to shut down a crew memeber. I melted into the seat.
I’ve offered to help after having a guy on my jumpseat on a transcon. You tend to know if a guy would be enjoyable to work with after that.
Join an organization like OBAP, WIA. Or even alpa "pilots in schools" if you feel inclined. Actually volunteer and contribute to the organization, and you'll meet tons of contacts who will be happy to write you a recommendation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to