61.195 (H) - Is 2 yr req. category specific?

Subscribe
Having read 61.195 (H) a dozen times over I'm still wondering if the 2 year requirement to endorse a new CFI applicant is category specific (the reg. mentions "rating" but nothing regarding 'category"). i.e. a CFI received his CFI Helicopter in 2012 and added an ASEL CFI on Nov 1, 2019, would the CFI be able to endorse an ASEL CFI applicant starting Nov 2, 2019?

cheers

T
Ground instruction 61.195(h)(1) looks different, but for the flight training (ie endorsement)...

61.195(h)(2)(ii) says you need to HOLD the APPROPRIATE instructor rating.

61.195(h)(2)(iii) says you need to have HELD an instructor rating for 24 months.

Both requirements apply, but I think you're good. You could also search the FAA legal interpretations or check with your FSDO.

Worth noting that anyone can "train" a CFI or any other pilot, including a non CFI. You need to meet the FAR requirements only for logging and endorsing required training. I was taught to fly by a non-CFI relative, just flew with an actual CFI long enough to get solo, training and checkride endorsements along the way. Most of my CFI training was with non-two-year CFI's, then checkride prep and sign-off was with the chief instructor.
rickair7777

Thanks!