A Few Questions about United

Subscribe
2  3  4  5  6  7 
Page 6 of 7
Go to
Great thread. And thanks for all the advice so far.

Most desired scenario until upgrade would be WB FO on the west coast at United. Looks like that would be SFO on the Triple. QOL of life is important, but a job at United pays off in the long term and may be worth the short term commuter pain. I have roughly 20 years until I retire.

1. If I get hired this year, with all the UAL retirements coming up, would I be able to make CA 777 at United? Any ideas when?

2. At my age is it likely I will get 75/76 class? Will previous wide body time count towards this or is it just a roll of the dice which airplane you get?

3. What is the most likely path to WB on West Coast? NB east coast for a few years then WB? Or WB much sooner than has been normal?

4. How many days per month are less senior pilots working on the WB fleet from SFO? How long are average trips from home?

I sincerely appreciate any and all advice here!
You can get SFO right away. No need to commute to the east coast. You can get the 777 in your first year but would be on reserve for at least 3 years.
756 slots come up in new hire class every now and then. Former widebody experience means nothing for aircraft bidding. It's all about seniority. Most 777 trips are 3-4 days with an occasional 5 day.
Good luck.
Quote: Great thread. And thanks for all the advice so far.

Most desired scenario until upgrade would be WB FO on the west coast at United. Looks like that would be SFO on the Triple. QOL of life is important, but a job at United pays off in the long term and may be worth the short term commuter pain. I have roughly 20 years until I retire.

1. If I get hired this year, with all the UAL retirements coming up, would I be able to make CA 777 at United? Any ideas when?

2. At my age is it likely I will get 75/76 class? Will previous wide body time count towards this or is it just a roll of the dice which airplane you get?

3. What is the most likely path to WB on West Coast? NB east coast for a few years then WB? Or WB much sooner than has been normal?

4. How many days per month are less senior pilots working on the WB fleet from SFO? How long are average trips from home?

I sincerely appreciate any and all advice here!
SFO base is the place to be if your Jr and want a wide body, it will move quick. If you get awarded 320 or 737, you will very quickly hold a line, and it’s great to have the option of keeping that vs reserve wide body. As a side note any wide body ETOPS type experience will make training a little easier as our International training is really terrible, when I was on the 777 you basically get a little ETOPS international type training on IOE, but then I guess they just expect you to learn on the job lol, my friend at FedEx was amazed how rushed and weak our program was compared to his. We had a very rushed map plotting class where my instructor told two of us “you should have flown the 757 before this plane, you’ll figure it out online I guess”. That was a few years ago, maybe it’s better??
Airbus Question
Does UAL have the 5 pin headset connector or modified two prong? TY
Quote: Does UAL have the 5 pin headset connector or modified two prong? TY
Save that question for at the end of the interview.
Quote: Does UAL have the 5 pin headset connector or modified two prong? TY
2 prong. Planes have a company minitel too.
Quote: Great thread. And thanks for all the advice so far.

This is a projection for a typical new hire. The date is when they could hold that seat. There are over 10,000 retirements over the next 20 years, on a 13,000 list.

Club Assess
For new hires is there a fee waived for annual fee?

Also, anyway of just getting club assess without getting the card?
Quote: This is a projection for a typical new hire. The date is when they could hold that seat. There are over 10,000 retirements over the next 20 years, on a 13,000 list.

Awesome chart! Thanks for that. Couple questions:

1. Does that represent the G-line, or the bottom pilot to hold reserve. I imagine by "hold that seat" , you mean the latter.
2. Are the forecast dates based on historical rates of attrition and seniority growth, or do they factor in future growth/attrition? i.e. Could the next 25 years see better growth than the last 25 years, and therefore, are those dates more conservative?
Quote: Awesome chart! Thanks for that. Couple questions:

1. Does that represent the G-line, or the bottom pilot to hold reserve. I imagine by "hold that seat" , you mean the latter.
2. Are the forecast dates based on historical rates of attrition and seniority growth, or do they factor in future growth/attrition? i.e. Could the next 25 years see better growth than the last 25 years, and therefore, are those dates more conservative?
1. It represents the most junior pilot in that seat.
2. I'm not entirely sure, but I think it goes strictly by age 65 retirement losses. I don’t think it looks at growth or shrinking either. New hires are added regularly though.
2  3  4  5  6  7 
Page 6 of 7
Go to