Do I Have To Go To A Regional Airline?

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 2 of 2
Go to
JetBlue's gateway select program bypasses the regionals. They use the same training academy(CAE) as southwest's 225 program from PPL to CFI. I have read that the selection process for JetBlue's program is very long and consists of multiple interviews and assessments through a years process to ensure they invest in the right type or individuals to work for them in the future. Plus the window to apply is only available once or twice a year.
Quote: JetBlue's gateway select program bypasses the regionals. They use the same training academy(CAE) as southwest's 225 program from PPL to CFI. I have read that the selection process for JetBlue's program is very long and consists of multiple interviews and assessments through a years process to ensure they invest in the right type or individuals to work for them in the future. Plus the window to apply is only available once or twice a year.
Jetblue doesn’t invest in the individual, it’s the other way around.
Quote: JetBlue's gateway select program bypasses the regionals. They use the same training academy(CAE) as southwest's 225 program from PPL to CFI. I have read that the selection process for JetBlue's program is very long and consists of multiple interviews and assessments through a years process to ensure they invest in the right type or individuals to work for them in the future. Plus the window to apply is only available once or twice a year.
These programs are all basically experiments at this point. A few majors are going to try out a handful of carefully selected candidates and see how they do on line long-term before they commit to mass production.

So right now these programs are a crapshoot, ie don't hold your breath waiting to be selected. Apply if you like, but if you're planning on an aviation career better follow the traditional path right now.

That might change in five years.
Yes on can skip the regionals and get that job at the ‘majors’. One doesn’t even need that 4-yr degree, happens all the time.

Just don’t be looking for a window seat up front.
Quote: Jetblue doesn’t invest in the individual, it’s the other way around.
Yes, I see your point. It's basically a lengthy selection process to fork over +$100k...
Civilian guy here.

Never went into debt for my ratings.
Never instructed.
Never worked for a regional
Never got a degree.
About to upgrade at a Major ULCC after 3 years.

It's definitely not the norm, but it can be done if you work your butt off, and are diligent.

Legacy is and (for now) will be off the table.

If you have any questions, think I'm full of s#$t, etc, etc..PM me.
1  2 
Page 2 of 2
Go to