Current situation and student pilots

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
I finally start working towards my certifications and ratings in May but is this downturn going to affect me and future student pilots in the long run? I would say I’m about 2 to 2 1/2 years away from the airlines. Will they still be hiring? I’ve heard Compass is furloughing and TSA is shutting down so it’s kinda concerning.
Quote: I finally start working towards my certifications and ratings in May but is this downturn going to affect me and future student pilots in the long run? I would say I’m about 2 to 2 1/2 years away from the airlines. Will they still be hiring? I’ve heard Compass is furloughing and TSA is shutting down so it’s kinda concerning.
If the airlines aren’t hiring in 2+ years we have much bigger problems. Stay focused, get your hours, the regionals will be here waiting for you.
Quote: I finally start working towards my certifications and ratings in May but is this downturn going to affect me and future student pilots in the long run? I would say I’m about 2 to 2 1/2 years away from the airlines. Will they still be hiring? I’ve heard Compass is furloughing and TSA is shutting down so it’s kinda concerning.
Compass and TSA were downhill regardless if there was a pandemic going on.

A lot happens in two years. Other people catching viruses and the stock market going down doesn't prevent pilots from turning 65 years old. If consumer driven fluctuations or world events make you think twice, you probably shouldn't enter into aviation.
Compass and TSA had their problems and were most likely on the way out regardless of Covid. They had both lost contracts or didn't have them renewed and thus caused their problems. It sucks, but is the nature of the regional world.

For you, I would worry to much about this. It should all be well over by the time you are ready to start so keep going and check back in a year.
Consider yourself a product or commodity for a moment.
Now think of yourself having at least a 3-5 year lead time if not longer.
What I mean by lead time is the time between product ordered and product ready.

0 - CFI 9-12 months
CFI - ATP 24 months

Now consider life’s little interferences and part time training and you’re at 5 years.
In basic economics this is called the ‘pork cycle’
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pork_cycle

This is why you should start (part time self funded) training when the market is bad.
Not when it at its peak.
Because of your lead time.
Nothing that will happen in the next 2 years will have any effect on you.
Yes, airlines will tank but that’s because they were on their death bed already.
Those pilots will be dissolved in the market or choose non aviation employment long before you’re ready.
Historically speaking, those entering training at downturns are generally well positioned once they finish and start moving up through the ranks, due to growth on the other side.

I knew guys who in 2003-2004 finally bailed from their CFI gigs. A few years later I was sitting in the left seat of an RJ, but back then the future looked bleak.

Same thing in 2008-2009, people, bailed to become nurses or lawyers or whatever. Guess what, in 2010 the regionals started picking up and by 2012 you could write your own check to whichever company you wanted to go to and a few years later bonuses were raining down with some of the most hiring at the majors in decades.

2014 saw the highest growth in air travel in modern history. Had you started training in 2008, you'd probably be sitting at a major right now.
Quote: 2014 saw the highest growth in air travel in modern history. Had you started training in 2008, you'd probably be sitting at a major right now.
Haha well in 2008 I was 8 or 9 years old but thanks for the info it does somewhat ease my concern
Out of all the pilots in this forum, you and other people still getting their ratings have the least to worry about. nah, you good bra.
Quote: Haha well in 2008 I was 8 or 9 years old but thanks for the info it does somewhat ease my concern
My point was past history shows if you begin training when times were bad, you end up in a good position. On 9/11 I was just starting college and my flight training.

Past performance quote goes here...

On a side note have you thought about the impact of single pilot or autonomous aircraft in the future? Europe’s FAA expects single pilot airliners in 10 years and no pilot in 15.

Even if that gets pushed some, it severely impacts your long term career prospects.
Quote: Haha well in 2008 I was 8 or 9 years old but thanks for the info it does somewhat ease my concern
Damn I'm old....
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to