Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Wheels Up Operators (Gama, DPJ, TMC)

Old 03-16-2020, 07:52 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2017

Originally Posted by B727DRVR View Post
Hey All,

This is some good info on the Corona Virus. I hope that they keep you all informed and safe. I think that this Important enough to have its own separate thread..

So, back to what hdgbug was saying about the amalgamation of the pay, benefits, and QOL of Wheels Up operators, when is that supposed to happen and would you all have single carrier status? You all would be the 800 lb. gorilla in Part 135!

That’s exciting news..
maybe I’m old fashioned or pacifist or something... but I will be quite content to simply have a job. Pay can stay where it is while the world burns down around us for all I care. Many people are about to start losing their jobs.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:56 PM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by 100LL View Post
I’ve heard private flying demand has gone up for obvious reasons at many 135 operations however I have to laugh at those idiot passengers. Wealth can’t keep you safe. Crews can clean the aircraft and it could be the cleanest plane in the sky but those passengers forget a few very important pieces of the puzzle. FBO/line guys who may help load/unload bags could be infected. Their transportation drivers/limos could be infected and my favorite the pilots. It’s funny many passengers don’t realize most of pilots who crew the planes they travel on travel to work on the airlines often connecting in major cities/virus hot beds. Yet they push on not knowing any of this thinking they are elite and safe bahaha.
This is some petty and petulant stuff right here. The “elite” as you call them are my customers and the lifeblood of our income. Spend less time meowing on guard and you’ll realize that.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:06 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2016

Originally Posted by Gundriver64 View Post
Maybe WU needs to start working on a COA to temporarily base aircraft at the primary airports where crews who live in the local area can staff the aircraft directly. Obviously, XYZ client is going to have to suck it up if they want their private flight.

Rest-assured quasi-SHTF is right around the corner. I hope that it lasts only a few weeks. Couple of months, tops.
Yeah if you think WUP gives A Sh,t about the pilots getting sick you need to re-evaluate. I am wiping down my A/C with the Clorox wipes. Yesterday flight aware showed 30+ WUP aircraft in the air. They are making some serious money. Yesterday we blocked 7 hours with 4 legs and after being on the west coast for two days(east coast based) blocked over 8 hours today, starting in LAX with four legs and ending in Baltimore at midnight, oh and all the restaurants are closed (state mandated) Minimum rest tonight with 3 legs tomorrow, Duty on 10 am ending in TPA, planned arrival time in TPA 2330L. Do you think they care that I have crossed 4 time zones back and forth in 72 hours? Not as long as they can say they are legal.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:52 PM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by jbeauv View Post
Yeah if you think WUP gives A Sh,t about the pilots getting sick you need to re-evaluate. I am wiping down my A/C with the Clorox wipes. Yesterday flight aware showed 30+ WUP aircraft in the air. They are making some serious money. Yesterday we blocked 7 hours with 4 legs and after being on the west coast for two days(east coast based) blocked over 8 hours today, starting in LAX with four legs and ending in Baltimore at midnight, oh and all the restaurants are closed (state mandated) Minimum rest tonight with 3 legs tomorrow, Duty on 10 am ending in TPA, planned arrival time in TPA 2330L. Do you think they care that I have crossed 4 time zones back and forth in 72 hours? Not as long as they can say they are legal.
bro, easy there. They can identify you with this information. Maybe delete this post?
Old 03-17-2020, 02:23 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2016

Sooooo I’m reading the latest email. If I get stuck on lock down/quarantine due to a government directive, i.e. NOT my choice, I may be required to make up time away from work due to that.....?
Old 03-17-2020, 03:00 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2018

Originally Posted by StainRJDriver View Post
Sooooo I’m reading the latest email. If I get stuck on lock down/quarantine due to a government directive, i.e. NOT my choice, I may be required to make up time away from work due to that.....?
The way I read it is that if you're home and your state goes on complete quarantine, you're still paid but may have to make up the time later. If you're on the road and you get quarantined, it doesn't count against you at all. What they didn't really address is what happens if your home goes on quarantine while you're on the road, or what happens to your schedule if you're quarantined on the road. Hopefully no one has to find out.

I'm glad they are giving us something extra for food on the road, and making sure we have cleaning supplies. I'd still like them to address public transit. I'm glad they finally put out something with some reasonable policies...just wish it'd been at least week sooner.

Still radio silence on what would happen if there is a total air travel ban.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:31 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013

Originally Posted by hdgbug View Post
Still radio silence on what would happen if there is a total air travel ban.
I guess we’ll just have to cross that bridge if / when we come to it. Rental cars and / or driving personal vehicles to the aircraft and claiming mileage is one option. Pairing same base crew members and repo the aircraft to their base on day 8 is another. Private aviation, air ambulance and cargo might be the only ones who are able to keep their heads above water during this mess.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:46 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2014
Position: Phenom

I don’t see the emails on the WU side unless it’s directly related to the merger. DPJ’s DO has been doing a great job updating on company response, changes to operations and procedures, and how to keep the crews fed. We’ve been getting at least an email per day with answers to specific questions from the crews.
Old 03-18-2020, 12:37 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2018

Originally Posted by BuddhaPilot73 View Post
I don’t see the emails on the WU side unless it’s directly related to the merger. DPJ’s DO has been doing a great job updating on company response, changes to operations and procedures, and how to keep the crews fed. We’ve been getting at least an email per day with answers to specific questions from the crews.
I'm glad DPJ has been on top of this. So far the email yesterday is the first communication from Gama. Hopefully, these things will be improved and more standardized between groups.

Did DPJ get the email from PD at TMC that says they are putting together a panel to help advise on the improvements they are working towards?
Old 03-20-2020, 08:48 AM
Line Holder

Default 3/20/2020 conference call

Wow. I have never felt more grateful to be a part of a company than I do right now. I missed the first and probably best part of the conference call, but what I did hear was so comforting and, frankly, inspiring. While the world burns, wheels up is surging ahead. We are bringing in new members, renewing old ones, and doing more business than before. Our balance sheet could sustain us for several months if that changes. We have an outstanding leadership team around Kenny. You may think I am drinking the koolaid or something. I have worked for shady operators before- wheels up ain’t one of them. Wheels up is a whole different breed of animal over here.

Ive always theorized that WUP is recession proof. Now here is the proof. If anyone has dirt to throw on our brand, they’ll have to go through me from now on. If you’re a pilot for WUP like me, let’s bunker down, dig in, pack a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, dust off our old best western membership cards, and tough it out where necessary to keep our company thriving. We’ve got this. I’ve got your back. Let’s kick some covid-19 a**.