SWA CEO Seeks Cost Cuts, "In Intensive Care"

Subscribe
1  2  3 
Page 2 of 3
Go to
Quote: it would be cheaper to park and then tell shippers "the flight has been sitting here, just waiting for this package"
Where do we park 700 jets? Cheaper, maybe, logistically possible? who knows
Perhaps our executives know more than the pilots about what’s cheaper? Crazy thought I know.
One word...inertia.
SWA operates well when loads are high and things are humming along. They do not respond well to disruption, even on a small scale. How many flights a day do they run in a peak schedule? 5000? Aircraft flows and crew flows are point to point. This virus has created a massive disruption that has not been handled well. It is changing, though. Last week they canceled 20 percent. Take a look today. More like half. April and May they are talking 60 percent. I bet it jumps even higher.
Just give it time. SWA is a big ship and it is not as nimble as it once was. Lots of things are done manually, including network planning and crew scheduling.

As for the video, I think it cast a dire tone, as it should. We are all worried about when this thing will end. Just know that if it goes 12 months like this, the survival of this airline will be one of the last things on your mind.
Quote: Perhaps our executives know more than the pilots about what’s cheaper? Crazy thought I know.
Pilots know everything better.

What’s the difference between God and a pilot? God knows he’s not a pilot.
Gotta love pilots second guessing CEO's. Hey boys, how about you just fly the airplane. Really the only pilot here I know with any corporate finance credibility is Hank. Wish everyone else would just shut up. This airline has by far the best balance sheet for reason.
I bet Gary's personal finances are not in ICU...
Quote: I bet Gary's personal finances are not in ICU...
Probably not. Nor should they be. What does he "deserve" to earn ? He is the CEO/OIC of a 60,000 employee organization, a fleet of 700 multi-million dollar airplanes, and has three other CEO's, one across town, trying to whack his kneecaps off at any opportunity. He has the FAA, DOJ, SEC, local airport city governments, unions, and a host of other groups who he must keep pacified at any given moment. The organization he operates is rated one of the best places to work. Not one paycheck has bounced (yet).

How much "should" he earn ?
Quote: Probably not. Nor should they be. What does he "deserve" to earn ? He is the CEO/OIC of a 60,000 employee organization, a fleet of 700 multi-million dollar airplanes, and has three other CEO's, one across town, trying to whack his kneecaps off at any opportunity. He has the FAA, DOJ, SEC, local airport city governments, unions, and a host of other groups who he must keep pacified at any given moment. The organization he operates is rated one of the best places to work. Not one paycheck has bounced (yet).

How much "should" he earn ?

Most people would have buckled under that stress level!
Quote: Most people would have buckled under that stress level!
Agree 100%. Most of us are buckling just worried about our job and our families. We have our own form of stress and responsibilities; serious responsibilities that cannot be discounted. This is getting bad and will only get worse for 3 to 4 weeks. I wouldn’t want to be working for any other CEO in this situation.
Message to all the wannabe CEOs on APC

Frank Boreman was one hell of a pilot and astronaut. He was a horrible airline CEO. Pilots are not CEO material.

Nuff said.
1  2  3 
Page 2 of 3
Go to