How much did you spend on flight school?

Subscribe
1  2  3  4 
Page 1 of 4
Go to
I'll start:

76 K
So far $41,000. I haven't done my multi yet, so add $9000 - $10,000 with the total 100 hours.
I'm gonna go with $25k. But at least most of that was out of pocket and the rest is paid off now.
Flight costs were $27k or so.

Not sure on total cost with tuition, rent, and entertainment.
34k-so far starting my multi commercial w/single add on this summer
2k miscellaneous flying
8k single
12K multi
12K multi instrument
I believe it was about 32k, 0 hrs through CFI, at a Div. 1 school in the Midwest/Great Lakes region... (I think you've got about a 50/50 shot at guessing correct)

I can't remember a breakdown per rating off the top of my head, but I do remember 186TT for CMEL, and ~230TT for CFI. So about $140 /hr average (for a/c and instructor), doesn't seem too bad compared to a lot of places, including the school I instructed at.
I dunno. It's all lumped in with student loans and credit cards, and God knows how much interest.

Probably like 50k.
Not including broken bones that I used student loans for, I think I was about 40-45k. But when I consolidated I got a nice 4% interest rate, and a 1.5% reduction for direct withdrawal, I get/got? another 1% reduction with my first 40 or so payments on time. So all said and done I will have a 1.5 % interest rate. I was lucky it was just a good time with interest rates to consolidate.
I went all part 61 (except for my private multi at ATP) and probably spent around 15-20k. About 5k on private, another 5 on instrument/comm single, another 8 on multi and the rest just flying around for fun. I joined a club right after getting my private which saved me about 4-5k and got free multi time by ferrying aircraft occasionally after I was hired as a CFII at the school I trained at. I paid as I went and never kept count of how much the bills were so the numbers may be off a little.

After two years of instructing I am ahead on the spend/earn curve!
About 32K Private, Instrument, Comm, CFI, Multi, CFII, MEI, and ATP
1  2  3  4 
Page 1 of 4
Go to