Prescription Eyeware - Retired Military

Subscribe
H Guys,

Researching possibilities of procuring needed prescription eyeware. Are there any retired types here that can weigh-in with getting aviator Rx glasses through military channels as a retiree? Or even VA channels?

Prescription glasses (commercially) is such a greedy racket. Doing cursory research, I have seen prices as high as $600 for the same clunky/junky glasses we get through NOSTRA.

Thanks for the help!
G
If you're older, you're probably going to need multiple corrections.

General consensus from pilots is that top-line Varilux progressives is the way to go, lesser brands will be hard to use in the cockpit. I doubt .gov will pay for those (easily $1K with nice frames). I use them, worth every dime.
Quote: If you're older, you're probably going to need multiple corrections.

General consensus from pilots is that top-line Varilux progressives is the way to go, lesser brands will be hard to use in the cockpit. I doubt .gov will pay for those (easily $1K with nice frames). I use them, worth every dime.
So, back to my original question: are there any means for retirees getting access to military RX glasses?
Have you tried calling the optometry clinic at your local military base?
if you end up having to pay out of pocket, Wal Mart or Costco is your best bet.
Quote: if you end up having to pay out of pocket, Wal Mart or Costco is your best bet.

Second this. Costco is half as much as the insurance racket shops for the same product. The only problem is they don't have the super high end ultra HD progressive lenses that a lot of 45+ pilots prefer.
Quote: The only problem is they don't have the super high end ultra HD progressive lenses that a lot of 45+ pilots prefer.
Also super expensive. And worth every penny.
Quote: Also super expensive. And worth every penny.
I concur.

My optometrist gives a 40% military discount...better than my insurance coverage. The optometrist received his education through the US Army!