can you get your initial CFI in a multi if you are rated?

Subscribe
I am trying to work through my initial CFI and planned to use a 172 for most and a 310 for the complex. It was brought to my attention that this may not be possible, although I am commercially multi engin rated, any thoughts from the field?
You would get an MEI for the initial rating and have to do a single-engine add-on later. ATP does the same thing, except they do it in Piper Seminoles. MEI, CFII, then the SEL add-on. Just be prepared to teach how to fly a multi-engine airplane.
that was roughly what I heard, thanks for the info, I'll have to talk to my CFI instructor and see what we can do to put our heads together on this issue then.
Unless you want to teach multiengine, why bother? There are usually single engine complex airplanes for rent. In my area there are a dozen or so 172RGs and 182s for rent.
Does anyone know much about the flight school in Norman OK. I am trying to find a good cfi school. The one in Norman I think is called cfi training
You can do your MEI as your initial if you like, that is what I did because I did it under the VA and got reimbursed for most of it.

As others have said, only useful if you plan on going right from MEI to double I and single I. A MEI in itself is almost next to useless and you would be hard pressed to find a school to hire you low time as an exclusive MEI guy.

It can definately be done though, but it is a lot of work. I had 130 hours ME when I finished it so I just felt more proficient in the twin than a single so it seemed like the logical plane to do the most difficult ride in. On the other hand if you have 15 ME from your commercial then I wouldnt reccomend it, the ride is a little to complex to not feel 100 percent in the plane