Pilot Health FAA medical; health topics

Certified mail from FAA - SI good or bad news

Old 08-12-2020, 09:26 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jun 2018
Position: Future Pilot
Unhappy Certified mail from FAA - SI good or bad news

Hello aviation lovers,

So I got my Class 1 medical certificate in Jun 2019, however, I needed a few special issuances. In September, the FAA sent me certified mail telling me to send documents required for my special issuances. I was transitioning out of the military by the end of the year and kept asking for extensions because I wanted to make sure my medical records were on file with the VA before proceeding any further with my Class 1 medical. By March, it was almost impossible to get the required documents needed because all lot of offices/doctors that I was dealin with was unavailable because of Covid-19. Fast forward to May/June 2020, and I finally got all of the documents that the FAA was asking for. I was finally able to mail the documents out in the end of June. I've been calling the FAA medical headquarters at OKC almost every week after 6 weeks. I called them yesterday and they said they can't give me an answer because the FAA sent certified mail last Friday, 7 Aug 2020.

Do special issuances get sent certified mail or is certified mail only bad news, meaning I need to send more documents (more labs, more sleep study info, etc.) Or even worse, my special issuance is getting denied? They anxiety of not knowing is killing me 🤒 Also, is it possible the FAA will require me to retake the Class 1 medical exam since it was just over a year ago before they can approve a special issuance? I'm student pilot with no hours and really need the class 3 but I wanted to get the Class 1 medical exam while I was still in the military so I have the green light to pursue aviation after the military and before blowing thousands of dollars in a career field that I can't pursue. And once Covid-19 hit, it pushed everything back...
Old 08-12-2020, 07:22 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2020

It may be your medical and SI letter. I believe mine were sent via first class certified.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:01 AM
Not home.

Joined APC: May 2018
Position: Captain

As I started down the SI rabbit hole a few years back, I did some research and came upon these guys:
https://www.leftseat.com/

THEY SUCK. And the suck hard. Send me your money instead. It sounds like you’ve been waiting around for nothing, that’s all you’ll do with PMS.

Once I switched over to AOPA’s PPS, the nightmare was over inside of 2 weeks. They’re bulldogs in calling OKC on your status, collecting the proper paperwork, etc. They’ve got connections in Oak City to make stuff happen.

I can’t recommend them enough. Believe me, I know what you’re going through.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-16-2020, 07:23 AM
On Reserve

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by firefighterplt View Post
It may be your medical and SI letter. I believe mine were sent via first class certified.
I was hoping that it was. But it's another letter requesting more documentation for my special issuance. I had 4 different memos/paperwork needed for my initial special issuance. This is the 3rd time I'm having to submit additional documents but this time it's on me because I didn't see the word "annual" CPAP report, instead of sending them my current 30 day CPAP report. 🤦‍♂️ Now, it's more "hurry up and wait..."
Old 08-16-2020, 07:27 AM
On Reserve

Thank for that info. I will probably use AOPA once I start working as a CFI and especially if I ever become a line holder.
Old 08-16-2020, 10:23 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Pilot Muscle View Post
Thank for that info. I will probably use AOPA once I start working as a CFI and especially if I ever become a line holder.
If you work for a union airline, they will generally have a service available. ALPA uses AMAS (they are available to the public on a fee basis).
Old 08-16-2020, 02:10 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2020

It could always be way worse, believe me.

They're usually pretty good about having everything else suitcased, so by the time the last bit of documentation arrives, they can make a quick decision.

usually.
Old 08-17-2020, 02:30 PM
On Reserve

Wink

Originally Posted by firefighterplt View Post
It could always be way worse, believe me.

They're usually pretty good about having everything else suitcased, so by the time the last bit of documentation arrives, they can make a quick decision.

usually.
I hope that's the case. And I assume that everything else that I already sent is a go for my special issuance. Last thing I want to do is keep spending money on shipping fees, just for my medical to get denied.
Old 08-18-2020, 06:27 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013

Once you are on a Special Issuance Medical and assuming it remains that way, you must be prepared to provide whatever documentation the FAA requires and in the format requested. And yes, it will cost you considerably more money to get your medical each year. Often times insurance will not cover what the FAA requires, simply because it is not standard protocol but part of the FAA requirement. I have found that the FAA is pretty good on issuances once you provide them the pertinent documents/reports and meet the criteria for special issuance. AOPA medical has very good reviews and probably a good idea to join just for that reason. Airline Unions usually will have a free service for union members.
Old 08-18-2020, 07:12 PM
Not home.

Joined APC: May 2018
Position: Captain

Originally Posted by CaptYoda View Post
Once you are on a Special Issuance Medical and assuming it remains that way, you must be prepared to provide whatever documentation the FAA requires and in the format requested. And yes, it will cost you considerably more money to get your medical each year. Often times insurance will not cover what the FAA requires, simply because it is not standard protocol but part of the FAA requirement. I have found that the FAA is pretty good on issuances once you provide them the pertinent documents/reports and meet the criteria for special issuance. AOPA medical has very good reviews and probably a good idea to join just for that reason. Airline Unions usually will have a free service for union members.
This definitely is the case with mine.
My plan for my First Class starts a couple/few months in advance.
Gotta plan an additional EKG, blood work, and an ultrasound of an area of the body I’m not proud to have done so to...
Once I got into the groove of doing so, it kinda seems routine these days.

Welcome to the club, my friend.