How do I join the national guard?

Subscribe
1  2  3  4 
Page 2 of 4
Go to
Quote: It seems like Grissom is always looking for pilots.
I have no special knowledge of that unit, but every tanker unit, I have any knowledge of, went from hurting for bodies to waaay overmanned last summer. It was shocking, sooo shocking. Personally, I’d expect the next twelve months to be the exact opposite as guys trade Guard/Reserve pay for year 3-5 pay at their major. This whole cycle is no mystery, it’s been repeating since the Vietnam era at least.
Quote: Good advice from all. My 2 cents: avoid the temptation of the army guard's high school to flight school (zero to hero) program. The recruiter will try to hook you on a direct pathway to flight school and a rotary wing billet. It's true, you go this route and you'll be a pilot by the time you're 20-21 with no college required. But in the long run if you want to fly for the airlines or even just career fixed wing military, going Army/Army guard is a bad idea. Enlist in the air guard, go get a bachelor's degree, then get a guaranteed job with a fixed wing air guard unit flying C130's or C17's. Best deal there is.
A bad idea? I don’t know about that. It’s not the best route to take but it certainly isn’t bad.
Quote: It seems like Grissom is always looking for pilots.
Nice, they have two Stratotanker squadrons right?
Quote: Nice, they have two Stratotanker squadrons right?
Yes. But nobody calls them “Stratotanker” squadrons. “135” squadron is the common vernacular. Or “tanker” squadron.
Get with an Officer Ascension recruiter (not a normal recruiter). Get your AFOQT and TBAS scheduled and take then. Obtain your PCSM score. If you score 90 or better, you’ll get a serious look. 70-90, you’ll have to sell yourself more. Below a 70, you’ll have some difficulty.
Quote: Get with an Officer Ascension recruiter (not a normal recruiter). Get your AFOQT and TBAS scheduled and take then. Obtain your PCSM score. If you score 90 or better, you’ll get a serious look. 70-90, you’ll have to sell yourself more. Below a 70, you’ll have some difficulty.

There are prep books and prep consultants to be ready to get good scores
Quote: A bad idea? I don’t know about that. It’s not the best route to take but it certainly isn’t bad.
A bad idea in the sense of going on a three week bender with a herpes encrusted meth hoar or going to fly helicopters in the Army Guard? No.

But, a bad idea when you have the option of sleeping in a GP medium in the desert with a bunch of fat, old snoring W-5s or flying a fighter and complaining that there wasn't a mint on your pillow at the Q when you stopped for the night on a four ship cross country? Yes.

Always remember, you have to build a thousand bridges to be called a bridge builder, but fly a helicopter once and you'll always be a rotor head. DAMHIK
Quote: A bad idea in the sense of going on a three week bender with a herpes encrusted meth hoar or going to fly helicopters in the Army Guard? No.

But, a bad idea when you have the option of sleeping in a GP medium in the desert with a bunch of fat, old snoring W-5s or flying a fighter and complaining that there wasn't a mint on your pillow at the Q when you stopped for the night on a four ship cross country? Yes.

Always remember, you have to build a thousand bridges to be called a bridge builder, but fly a helicopter once and you'll always be a rotor head. DAMHIK
there’s truth to this.
Made me laugh, thanks.
If you meet the requirements my guard unit seems to be hurting for pilots. Not a pilot myself, just an Avionics guy, but we are sending out flyers monthly it seems looking for them and listening to the guys here they are getting hard to find. We have guys wanting to swap to other units closer to home and they can’t get released due to our shortage.
1  2  3  4 
Page 2 of 4
Go to