The Greening of the Airline Business

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 3 of 5
Go to
What the hell is SAF?
Well if you limit youself to such antiquated technologies such as fuel cells and hydrogen power you will indeed not succeed.

Im more interested in compact fusion reactors. Imagine an electric powered a380 with a reactor in the belly. This is the future im excited about.
Quote: What the hell is SAF?
Sustainable Aviation Fuel. Pretty much Jet Fuel made from renewable sources.

https://www.bp.com/en/global/air-bp/...important.html
Quote: Well if you limit youself to such antiquated technologies such as fuel cells and hydrogen power you will indeed not succeed.

Im more interested in compact fusion reactors. Imagine an electric powered a380 with a reactor in the belly. This is the future im excited about.
I get your point but you could have used any other plane. I like efficiency and sustainability too but not at the cost of the ugliest airliner ever made.
Quote: Well if you limit youself to such antiquated technologies such as fuel cells and hydrogen power you will indeed not succeed.

LockMart Fusion Technology

*prototype product rendering, not currently for sale
Quote: I get your point but you could have used any other plane. I like efficiency and sustainability too but not at the cost of the ugliest airliner ever made.
Well i started typing 747 but i just couldn't mix cutting-edge technology with a yoke. But you're right, the 380 is gross.

Maybe something like this....

Quote: While flying around in his own private jet.....

And buying carbon credits from himself to offset it. You gotta love a good scam artist.
Quote: LockMart Fusion Technology

*prototype product rendering, not currently for sale
I was just the slightest bit cautiously optimistic about compact fusion when lockmart announced the project some years ago, but it's clearly fizzled and is pretty clearly not likely to be compact enough for aircraft any time soon (our lifetimes). I almost wonder if the whole thing wasn't some sort of smoke-screen for a black project. It was frankly bizarre for a company like LM to publicly announce a far-out, pie-in-the-sky effort like this without having significant R&D progress already in the bag. I wouldn't have bought it for a second coming from some start-up.

Also *remotely* possible I suppose that there is some sort of suppression of the technology occurring. Instantly available, practical fusion in a relatively small form factor (ie smaller than a big nuke plant) would turn the establishment on it's ear...

The Right would suffer from the complete and sudden collapse of most of the current energy economy.

The Left would suffer from the near-instantaneous irrelevance of their climate agenda, which is probably be inextricably linked with their social agendas. Not only would practical fusion eliminate most human carbon output, but it could cheaply power carbon-capture to vacuum up any leftovers from industry, cows, etc.
Quote: I was just the slightest bit cautiously optimistic about compact fusion when lockmart announced the project some years ago, but it's clearly fizzled and is pretty clearly not likely to be compact enough for aircraft any time soon (our lifetimes). I almost wonder if the whole thing wasn't some sort of smoke-screen for a black project. It was frankly bizarre for a company like LM to publicly announce a far-out, pie-in-the-sky effort like this without having significant R&D progress already in the bag. I wouldn't have bought it for a second coming from some start-up.

Also *remotely* possible I suppose that there is some sort of suppression of the technology occurring. Instantly available, practical fusion in a relatively small form factor (ie smaller than a big nuke plant) would turn the establishment on it's ear...

The Right would suffer from the complete and sudden collapse of most of the current energy economy.

The Left would suffer from the near-instantaneous irrelevance of their climate agenda, which is probably be inextricably linked with their social agendas. Not only would practical fusion eliminate most human carbon output, but it could cheaply power carbon-capture to vacuum up any leftovers from industry, cows, etc.
Reminds me of that Keanu move Chain Reaction.

But irrelevant, people will shift to some other boogie man to advance their agenda.
Quote: The Right would suffer from the complete and sudden collapse of most of the current energy economy.

The Left would suffer from the near-instantaneous irrelevance of their climate agenda, which is probably be inextricably linked with their social agendas.
Damn green capitalists are going to ruin it for everybody. Them and the Libertarians draw hatred from both (same) sides of the political machine.
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 3 of 5
Go to