Notices
Flight Schools and Training Ratings, building hours, airmanship, CFI topics

cheap places to Time Build?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2021, 02:52 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007

Originally Posted by Macchi30 View Post
I'm a 2 year CFI and only have around 850TT. Due to the slowdown of student inflow, with the pace I'm flying now, I'll have to be a CFI for another 1.5-2 years before hitting ATP mins which is not a viable option. So I'm thinking of biting the bullet (and my savings) and buying a few hundred hours to at least propel myself closer to finishing my hours by the end of the year.

Any recommendations for places (anywhere in the US, but preferably east coast) where I can rent planes for cheap? Bonus if they have lots of time builders to share costs with.
Have you looked at Companies such as Plane Sense. I know that they prefer 1000TT and a CFII but they do hire pilots with less than 800 hours.
Old 11-22-2021, 04:22 PM
Occasional box hauler

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by flyingtime View Post
I've only got about 300 hours right now. Rather than wait 2-3 years teaching, why not just pay for the hours now and get done in 6 months? Any thoughts or advice is appreciated. THanks!
At this particular point in time, it might be worth the gamble to blow the money to fly the hours so that you can be in class at a regional in six months. It’s all crystal ball reading, but, if the predicted hiring of the next three years comes to fruition and you are willing to sacrifice everything on the altar of riding the wave to a legacy, this may be the time to go all in. That said, nobody would be shocked if unforeseen events significantly impact that hiring wave. If all you need is the hours (degree complete, etc), this is the moment to gamble if there ever was one.
Old 11-26-2021, 03:52 PM
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

It still boggles the mind that the itch to climb the magic curtain and get that god-almighty magic seniority number is so strong that one can't be bothered to go get a job doing pipeline patrol, towing banners or any number of other jobs from flying jumpers to Canyon tours...but would rather rent an airplane, instead.
Old 11-26-2021, 06:24 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2011

The question I’ve never seen answered is if a regional will really hire you if you have paid for all of your time and have no professional experience?

I realize that regionals aren’t exactly in a place to be picky right now, but I have a feeling most would really not like to hire someone who has 1200+ hours of rental and safety pilot time. Sounds like a training failure waiting to happen and there are still plenty of 1000-1500 hour CFIs out there they can hire.

Honestly why not CFI and then build some extra time on the side with your CFI buddies? Me and a fellow CFI are doing that to stay more current with instruments and get the extra night and XC time that doesn’t build so quick teaching primary students. Gets us an extra 10-15 hours per month.
Old 12-16-2021, 05:25 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Dec 2021
Default time building

Originally Posted by Macchi30 View Post
After I made this thread, I did find a place down in Miami that rents out a Cherokee for $55/hr wet to time builders. Probably going to seriously look at that as an option once the winter rolls around.

I like that.

I know it's not going to be cheap. It actually seems a bit insane to me to drop another $10-15k on this, because, that's why i did my CFI and II. But at this point, I figure if I just spend this money and get the rest of my hours over with, getting to an airline sooner, getting a real paycheck, benefits, and a seniority number now is worth it, rather than flying a measly 30 hours a month for the next 2 years, and surviving off my GI Bill.
I am in Miami. my thoughts are same with you. I need 500 hours to build, are you still building time? If you are, can we fly spilt the fee? If you finished could you pls share that $55 rental information with me ?
Old 12-16-2021, 05:32 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2021
Default If you are in Miami…

Stay away from GPS at Tamiami. The owner is legitimately a conman. It’s a scam.
Old 12-16-2021, 07:29 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Sep 2019

Originally Posted by kaputt View Post
The question I’ve never seen answered is if a regional will really hire you if you have paid for all of your time and have no professional experience?

I realize that regionals aren’t exactly in a place to be picky right now, but I have a feeling most would really not like to hire someone who has 1200+ hours of rental and safety pilot time. Sounds like a training failure waiting to happen and there are still plenty of 1000-1500 hour CFIs out there they can hire.

Honestly why not CFI and then build some extra time on the side with your CFI buddies? Me and a fellow CFI are doing that to stay more current with instruments and get the extra night and XC time that doesn’t build so quick teaching primary students. Gets us an extra 10-15 hours per month.
That's an interesting perspective. I look at the time builders versus CFI route a bit differently. As a cfi your teaching your hours are almost always going to be local, so you're not building any experience with different, far away airports. Your hours will be spent acting as a safety pilot for a student which is good, but the same thing could be said for someone splitting time. I think time builders have the advantage because they can fly across the country experiencing lots of different airspaces and air masses rather than the typical stay close to home CFI. You could gain 1,300 xc hours time building which would be almost impossible for 1,500hr CFI.

Just my 2 cents
Old 12-16-2021, 07:40 AM
New Hire

Originally Posted by Deli View Post
I am in Miami. my thoughts are same with you. I need 500 hours to build, are you still building time? If you are, can we fly spilt the fee? If you finished could you pls share that $55 rental information with me ?
FWIW, it's $55 if they pair you with another pilot with steam gauges.
Old 12-17-2021, 02:58 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2021

Originally Posted by DanJ View Post
That's an interesting perspective. I look at the time builders versus CFI route a bit differently. As a cfi your teaching your hours are almost always going to be local, so you're not building any experience with different, far away airports. Your hours will be spent acting as a safety pilot for a student which is good, but the same thing could be said for someone splitting time. I think time builders have the advantage because they can fly across the country experiencing lots of different airspaces and air masses rather than the typical stay close to home CFI. You could gain 1,300 xc hours time building which would be almost impossible for 1,500hr CFI.

Just my 2 cents
Yet CFIs are rarely the ones who wash out during airline training...
Old 12-17-2021, 03:01 PM
New Hire

Originally Posted by flosd View Post
Yet CFIs are rarely the ones who wash out during airline training...
Interesting. Do you have statistics backing that up? If so, please link your source.