cheap places to Time Build?

Subscribe
2  3  4  5  6 
Page 6 of 6
Go to
Quote: Interesting. Do you have statistics backing that up? If so, please link your source.
Nope, no source. That's just what people in training departments have told me. Not that they really have any reason to lie, though.
I'd really like to dig more into that to see if there was correlation and what it was based on. Were the people that washed out "unemployable" (pre-Covid when everyone was hired) because the school saw something in them they didn't like? Does being a cfi mean you're a better learner? Were the washed out lazy rich kids? There's so many possible reasons if that's actually provable.

Anyway, it's an interesting discussion. I do believe there's a benefit to distant xc. And there's one to showing that you can follow someone else's schedule, like a cfi would.

Both are just routes to the regionals.
Anyway, it's an interesting discussion. I do believe there's a benefit to distant xc. And there's one to showing that you can follow someone else's schedule, like a cfi would.

Both are just routes to the regionals.

I’ve followed this conversation since I have children who may choose to pursue the airlines for a career. You, like a number of posters, have argued it’s all just means to an end and being a CFI has no intrinsic value over other routes to hitting mins for an ATP and a regional job. Like others you argue that flying around the country building time in the “system” is superior to flying around the home drome teaching some slob how to fly a traffic pattern, survive stalls, and otherwise learn the basics of flight. There are definitely pros and cons to both methods of building time. However, having done the airline thing for a little bit now, I would rather work with a pilot who built time as a CFI. Why? Well in order to survive and thrive as an instructor a pilot has to figure out how to deal with a wide range of personality and learning types, while never allowing that student to do something stupid that could kill them both. No two flights with a student are the same. Students are amazingly creative in their attempts to kill you. Flying around the country in the cheapest time building airframe you can find is probably no where near as challenging. The cheapest airplane available is unlikely to be IFR capable, which is the experience that would be most valuable from tooling aimlessly about the country. The airlines are all about working on the company’s schedule, flying through dogpoop weather, and interacting in a professional manner with other pilots. All that said, the CFI who never seeks out opportunities to instruct instrument flight and avoids ever flying an approach he isn’t intimately familiar with is also shortchanging themselves.

Long story short, I would recommend pursuing the CFI route while enjoying an occasional cross country jaunt to somewhere new, preferably with some challenges from the weather.
multi training time building in KY
Just a heads up for anyone looking to do multi or time build. Can do accelerated course over a short period of time. PA30 Twin Comanche and DA42 Twin Star G1000 are available. DPE also avail for checkouts. Shoot me a PM if interested. Thanks.
Quote: After I made this thread, I did find a place down in Miami that rents out a Cherokee for $55/hr wet to time builders.
Which place is this?
anyone in sacramento looking to build time?
Quote: anyone in sacramento looking to build time?
I’m looking for someone. I’m from northern Bay Area but I’m willing to drive there. Do you rent or have your own plane?
2  3  4  5  6 
Page 6 of 6
Go to