Major Legacy, National, and LCC

National Seniority List

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 06:15 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Dec 2016
Position: Sitting
Default National Seniority List

What are the chances that a national seniority list could be created for the pilots at the legacy carriers? Say if AA, DL, and UA all had ALPA pilots and we did not have have loyalty to one carrier.

Rather than us working for the the individual airlines like we do now, we would work for ALPA and be placed in the different airlines based on demand.

This could eliminate all the different CBAs amongst the carriers and create a larger union presence, making the whole thing more streamlined.

This would eliminate individual pride in the airlines. We all the know a pilot who says "I would do this job for free."
Old 04-27-2021, 06:39 AM
The NeverEnding Story

Joined APC: Sep 2005

Originally Posted by reandld View Post
What are the chances that a national seniority list could be created for the pilots at the legacy carriers?
Zero.

Filler...
Old 04-27-2021, 06:43 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2011
Position: retired 767(dl)

What are the chances that a national seniority list could be created for the pilots at the legacy carriers? Say if AA, DL, and UA all had ALPA pilots and we did not have have loyalty to one carrier.

Rather than us working for the the individual airlines like we do now, we would work for ALPA and be placed in the different airlines based on demand.

This could eliminate all the different CBAs amongst the carriers and create a larger union presence, making the whole thing more streamlined.

This would eliminate individual pride in the airlines. We all the know a pilot who says "I would do this job for free."
Didn't I see you at the last Wokey meeting?
Old 04-27-2021, 06:48 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2015
Position: UNA

1) I agree with Boiler...not gonna happen

2) this would be super tricky because only 1/2 of the big 6 (or big 4 if you exclude boxes) are ALPA,

3) technically AS and HA are legacy carriers, should they be included?

4) what about WN and B6?

this gets WAAY too complicated very fast, I think the closest it would ever get would be similar to how UAW negotiations used to be(not sure if it still works this way but I’ve been told this is how it used to work) where all of the big 3 work under the same contract. IIRC when they negotiated a new contract it was for all Ford, GM, and Chrysler employees.

EDIT: but I think there is something in RLA preventing this
Old 04-27-2021, 07:13 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013
Position: On the hotel shuttle

About the same chance as this thread not popping up every 2-3 years.
Old 04-27-2021, 07:29 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: 767/757 CA

Ha ha ha ha
Old 04-27-2021, 07:34 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Dec 2016
Position: Sitting

I for one would prefer this sort of arrangement, wouldn't you? Lots of people I fly chose to work at the first Legacy that called them. It's not like we really care to see we work for Delta vs. AA, etc. It doesn't matter as long as they're paying us good money to do it.

I also do not care to deal with the nefarious departments pilots are forced to deal with. Wouldn't it be nice for us not to deal with scheduling or the CPO? I'd rather go through the Union for all these things.
Old 04-27-2021, 07:45 AM
Clear ECAM

Joined APC: Oct 2014

Old 04-27-2021, 07:58 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2012

Alpa’s strategy of pattern bargaining is about as close to a national seniority list as we can get. It was working well pre covid and so far continues to work well (Cola Loa’s). We all have very similar language and w2s. Where it falls short is when an airline goes away.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:24 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2015
Position: DHC-8 CA

As soon as guys figure out that an “ALPA list” would include us regional scum, and that it would hamstring the careers of the military guys. The conversation would be over.