Is “Reverse Taxi” approved at Envoy?

Subscribe
1  2  3  4 
Page 1 of 4
Go to
I subscribe to a YouTube channel that does clips of interesting aviation events. Today they posted a clip of 2 airplanes ending up nose to nose on a taxiway in CVG. During the events of trying to figure out how to get the airplanes clear of each other, one of Envoy pilots made a suggestion that caught me off guard. They said “There might be enough room for us use to use reverse thrust to turn around if no one is directly behind us”. Is that an authorized procedure at Envoy?

Here is a link to the clip:

https://youtu.be/OsaMex39HSs
Quote: I subscribe to a YouTube channel that does clips of interesting aviation events. Today they posted a clip of 2 airplanes ending up nose to nose on a taxiway in CVG. During the events of trying to figure out how to get the airplanes clear of each other, one of Envoy pilots made a suggestion that caught me off guard. They said “There might be enough room for us use to use reverse thrust to turn around if no one is directly behind us”. Is that an authorized procedure at Envoy?

Is this CNN fishing for more stories?
Saw that on YouTube as well and had the same question.
Prohibited, and I've tried it in the sim, doesn't work.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Ope Captain took the mic away from the FO
AA's MD-80's were approved for powerback off the gate...
Quote: AA's MD-80's were approved for powerback off the gate...
athats because the MD-80s, DC-9s all were approved power backs.
Why not call out the TOW as a first option? Barely ANY (MD80) A/C are approved for TR pushes heck even the crew wanted a wing walker with em. Might as well get a tug out at at that point.

edit: But it would be hilarious to see a Delta and Envoy tug RACING to the taxiway to see who gets pushed first.
Quote: athats because the MD-80s, DC-9s all were approved power backs.
Thanks for that tidbit kid, looks like the FAA has to buy off on it too...

OPSPEC C065, POWERBACK OPERATIONS WITH AIRPLANES.

A. C065 authorizes the use of powerplant reversing systems for rearward taxi operations. Before issuing C065, the POI must determine whether the operator meets requirements discussed in AC 120‑29, current edition. Airplane types (M/M/S) authorized for powerback operations must be listed in C065. Airports where powerback operations are authorized must also be listed. If the POI and/or operator determine that restrictions to powerback operations are required at certain gates or ramp areas, the restrictions must be described (adjacent to the airport name) in the “Restrictions and Limitations” column. OpSpecs worksheets provide a template for listing authorized airplanes, airports, and restrictions.

Quote: I subscribe to a YouTube channel that does clips of interesting aviation events. Today they posted a clip of 2 airplanes ending up nose to nose on a taxiway in CVG. During the events of trying to figure out how to get the airplanes clear of each other, one of Envoy pilots made a suggestion that caught me off guard. They said “There might be enough room for us use to use reverse thrust to turn around if no one is directly behind us”. Is that an authorized procedure at Envoy?

Kudos to the envoy crew for standing firm and not attempting to un-screw the situation they weren’t at fault for. Whether reverses are approved at envoy or not(doubt it) they made the correct decision and were professional about it the entire time. Trying to play nice guy and hanging a hard right and then rolling into the grass goes on the pilots record not CVG ground.
1  2  3  4 
Page 1 of 4
Go to