Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Fractional > NetJets
NJ for Families in 21 and Beyond >

NJ for Families in 21 and Beyond

Notices
NetJets Fractional Operator

NJ for Families in 21 and Beyond

Old 06-10-2021, 06:15 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2020

You live in CLT? Total no brainer. Go to AA.

on the 7/7 at NJA you will make 100K?? IDK, not even sure they make 100K. Lets say 100K. I can make 100K working at AA, 2 years in, by only working 100 days or less (100 days assuming minimum pay days for 100 days). 100 days/12: 8 days of work to equal the same money you would make at NJA as an FO on the 7/7 being gone 15 days a month. average calender day is 5:15 here, $161 per hour plus 16% 401K is just shy of $1000 ($984 to be exact). That is if your trip is minimum pay. On the other end of the spectrum there are turns that pay 8 plus hours per day. I did a turn the other day that paid $1600.

Anyways, have you ever flown charter, part 135, or corporate? It can suck. Same idiot captain for 7 straight days. Cleaning the plane, hauling bags, sitting at the FBO on standby.

Guys work more at AA because they want to make more but they dont have to. Especially when thinking about jumping to some non 121 gig such as NJA or corporate. Until this pandemic hit I did zero days of reserve. ZERO. Straight to a line in NYC out of training and it will be the same for you. This idea you will on short call reserve for 18 days in NYC for years is BS. Maybe a month or two, maybe. Too many retirements and too much upcoming movement. All the east coast US airway bases have the most retirements upcoming, especially CLT and they are growing CLT.

Here is the other thing for family life. You can call off sick if you need to make an especially important event. Try doing that in the middle of a trip at NJA.
Old 06-10-2021, 07:04 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2015

If you are sick at NJA, you push the Sick button on your company iphone and you are taken off your trip.
Old 06-10-2021, 07:09 AM
Gets Weekends Off

So mid sequence they send you home?
Old 06-10-2021, 08:30 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2015

Originally Posted by Armyguy View Post
So mid sequence they send you home?
Correct unless you ask them to leave you in the hotel because you are too sick to travel.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:07 AM
Gets Weekends Off

I stand corrected.
Old 06-10-2021, 10:51 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2013

Originally Posted by MinRest View Post
If you don't want to have to think about how to get to work, NJA is a good fit. You can get hired at NJA, be based in CLT and choose the 7/7. You can essentially become a mindless robot when it comes to how and when you go to work, and when you are home. I mean that in a good way, but that has to be what your priority is in order to see it as a good thing. My priority was making more money and having more time off with the ability to have more flexibility, so NJA didn't fit.

Managing your days off, bidding, trading, dropping, picking up, potentially commuting, reserve etc. takes more time and energy to manage. You already know this as you do it, but at a major you can reap the benefits and if picking your days off, picking stretches of days off. A 25 year captain at NJA has to work the same amount of days as a new hire FO, there is no ability to bid for higher credit trips so you can have more days off. How much extra money you make is completely up to the company, not you.

There is no perfect fit and which ever way you choose, you will be thinking about the other option wondering if it was the better fit lol. I will say if flexibility and days off are your priority, NJA will not be your answer.
Thank you. That’s some great information.

IMO, there’s a big difference between flexibility and predictability. AA offers flexibility, to be sure. But how much of an investment is required to live in your desired base and have a predictable schedule? I’m not against AA. I have do have friends there. But each of them who are recent hires are commuting to reserve. None can hold Charlotte.
Old 06-10-2021, 12:22 PM
Mmmm wine

Joined APC: Feb 2020
Position: A220 FO

Originally Posted by 4thgenaviator View Post
Thank you. That’s some great information.

IMO, there’s a big difference between flexibility and predictability. AA offers flexibility, to be sure. But how much of an investment is required to live in your desired base and have a predictable schedule? I’m not against AA. I have do have friends there. But each of them who are recent hires are commuting to reserve. None can hold Charlotte.
Predicability is also a relative term. On the 7/7 I knew my schedule for the next year basically, but the show times, airports, types of duty, airlines, rental cars, ubers, all changed 20 times a day. At my airline, I know my schedule 3 weeks before the month starts, and the changes to it are super rare. I much prefer that lack of stress and find it MORE predictable by leaps and bounds over anything I had at NJA.

If you want to know 6 months from now that you have Tuesday off, but don't mind being dragged around like a piece of meat for 7 days on the road when you do work, NJA will be a good fit. If you don't do well with constant changes and running around for 12 hours a day, for 7 days, then you will burn out at NJA quick.
Old 06-10-2021, 05:17 PM
Gets Weekends Off

I commute and its not hard at all
Old 06-10-2021, 05:46 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2013

If you are "getting drug around like a piece of meat" at any flying job that is on you.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:40 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2015

Originally Posted by Flyfalcons View Post
If you are sick at NJA, you push the Sick button on your company iphone and you are taken off your trip.
The key word here is sick. If they catch you faking it to get home for something, you stand a good chance of being disciplined up to and including termination. Also, mid tour sick calls place a huge bulls eye on your back and if repeated may get you an invite to CMH to talk with the Chief Pilot. If you need an event off, PTO days are available but you may have to use them for a full tour which could cost you 6, 7, or 8 days depending on your tour as to PTO a partial tour, you must have at least 4 working days left.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk