Notices
Major Legacy, National, and LCC

Red Eye Tips

Old 06-30-2021, 02:54 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2012

Originally Posted by freezingflyboy;[url=tel:3256540
3256540[/url]]Exactly what I do. It's worked well for me for a long time now. The trick is to skip the caffeine. I'll usually have a cup of coffee when I wake up the morning before a redeye but always make sure not to have any more caffeine after about 10am that day.
No coffee? That’s more inhumane than the red-eye.
Old 06-30-2021, 07:22 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: 7ER B...whatever that means.

Originally Posted by Grumpyaviator View Post
No coffee? That’s more inhumane than the red-eye.
lololol no coffee!? No ones saying THAT! For chrissakes, were not talking about a mormon prison here! Just no caffeine between 9-10am and nap time! I usually time my nap to wake up 60-90 mins before show time. I usually will have some caffeine (a coffee or Dr Pepper/Coke) along with a light dinner (typically a sandwich or salad I stashed in the fridge). Then I usually try to have a coffee during boarding and another about 45 mins from landing. Works great for me.
Old 06-30-2021, 10:12 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2012
Position: Happy

Interesting and good discussion. Interesting to see what people do. Also like most of us know at the end of the day you have to find what works for you as we are all slightly different. Me, I try to listen to my body as much as I can. If my body needs 6-8 hours of sleep I will try to give it that. Regardless what side of the clock I am knowing it will take me a while to get back to the “normal “ side of the clock. That’s in general.

Now working a red eye, at home I try to keep myself up the night prior really late. Not an issue night owl anyway. Go to bed around 4/5 am. Wake up at noon or 1 pm I can easily fly the first leg out land at whatever ungodly time and and still feel fine. By the time I get to the hotel I slowly start getting tired. Good timing. Now if it is one of those nasty 12-14 hour layover deals it kinna does stink. You fall asleep wake up 6/8 hours later and (for me at least ) its hard to take a nap a few hours after you wake up with a few hours to go till show time. So again i just try to keep myself up when I get to the hotel (sometimes doesn’t work just too tired) and sleep from 6/8 am till 2pm and then I’m fine again for the leg back.

Ps. Yes, melatonin seems to work but like several said it helps ish the first 3/4 hours. If you don’t fall asleep in that period you are kinna screwed.

Pps. Don’t take the none natural melatonin gives you some weird ass dreams ! (Not the good ones)

Also I haven’t really heard anyone talking about this but maybe consider this. Of course assuming both fit for duty but I have before and will in the future ask my partner how they slept. If it turns out they slept much better than you and you are legal but feeling so so give that leg to your partner if they want it. Or vice versa. We’re so programmed to “who’s turn is it..”. I say who cares. Whoever feels most rested.

Oh and I can’t stretch this enough. Water water water. Some coffee and water water water. Don’t take any of that nasty sugar crap before TOD. It won’t give you wings (you should have those by now anyway ) but it will make your heart race and add nasty **** to your system. And I find I land better a little tired and drinking water than hyper on Red Bull or whatever other crap some drink.

Also steer clear of alcohol day prior. Keep it for home or a good long normal layover on a normal 4-day at dinner.

Last ps ;
Originally Posted by Forgotmywallet View Post
Great book that has several paragraphs on airline pilots. Discusses melatonin as well.
One of the best books on sleep I’ve read. Author is a professor of neuroscience at Berkeley. I did weekly redeyes for B6 for four straight years.
https://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Sleep-.../dp/1501144324
This is a great read !

Last edited by 303flyboy; 06-30-2021 at 10:41 PM.
Old 07-02-2021, 04:51 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2016
Position: Not an RJ driver anymore

I've gotten careful with caffeine consumption. On all days, flying, no flying, red eyes, no red eyes, I do not consume caffeine after 12:00. I began this habit about 10 years ago and it's worked wonders for me in terms of sleep.

For red eyes, one of the hardest things to do is not stress about getting in a nap. It's one of the easiest ways to ensure you won't nap beforehand. I don't tell myself I HAVE to nap; I tell myself it'd be nice, but if you don't, it's not the end of the world. I've gotten in anything from no nap at all to 3+ hours. It's okay.

You will figure out what works for you. Listen to the advice in this thread; a lot of great tips and tricks. And hey, in the end, there's always "studying the overhead panel"
Old 07-02-2021, 04:54 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2016
Position: Not an RJ driver anymore

Originally Posted by 303flyboy View Post
Oh and I can’t stretch this enough. Water water water. Some coffee and water water water. Don’t take any of that nasty sugar crap before TOD. It won’t give you wings (you should have those by now anyway ) but it will make your heart race and add nasty **** to your system. And I find I land better a little tired and drinking water than hyper on Red Bull or whatever other crap some drink.
drive this point home - do not drink energy drinks beforehand. The crash you experience is so hard/fast and very tough to recover from. One-two cups of coffee at most per red-eye and like you said, water water water.
Old 07-02-2021, 09:36 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Crown View Post
For red eyes, one of the hardest things to do is not stress about getting in a nap. It's one of the easiest ways to ensure you won't nap beforehand. I don't tell myself I HAVE to nap; I tell myself it'd be nice, but if you don't, it's not the end of the world. I've gotten in anything from no nap at all to 3+ hours. It's okay.
My experience too, if sleep doesn't come then 3-4 hours of relaxing and reading in bed is fairly rejuvenating.
Old 07-04-2021, 07:18 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2014

Originally Posted by SaintNick View Post
nap during the flight....
But melatonin worked good for me to get that nap in. Besides that coffee and books
Time release melatonin.
Old 07-08-2021, 04:31 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2015

What brand of Melatonin are you guys using? What has worked?
Old 07-10-2021, 01:39 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2011

Originally Posted by butchf16 View Post
Time release melatonin.
The bi-layer time release melatonin works great for me. 5mg.
Old 07-10-2021, 02:22 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2008
Position: B737 CA

If I take more than .4mg of melatonin, I'll spend half the trip in the forward lav!!!