Search
Notices

DL Hiring: New Process

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2022, 05:00 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2021

Originally Posted by Steverin06 View Post
Thank you for passing this info! I am also a fighter bro with near identical hours when my app goes live shortly.

What was your availability date? Was there any available interview dates before two months out? My DOS is 1 May.

Immediately. I put 2 weeks via recommendation from C&S. 5 internal recs. I think only 3 were in the system before the app was scored and I got the email. A post here previous in thread says all you need is one for scoring. C&S said 4 is the magic number. No idea why.

I had some bros get calls in December and back then first available was 2 months out. It seems 2+ months is where they are at right now. I asked for first available and it was mid March. I know guys with CJOs 5+ months out. Got training dates and just reminded them they needed more time. No issues. If I were you, I'd submit asap. Hopefully you have some leave saved up! But that's just like... my opinion man. I'm sure some smarter dudes on here with have some input.

PS: Anyone having issues with electronic log books at the interview? I don't have much civ time (100 hours) but it's all in an excel, as well as all of my mil flights that I log. It all matches my mil records exactly. I expect to at least catch a question about it if they want to be adversarial. Plan is to print it in the FAA log format for the interview.
Old 01-16-2022, 07:38 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2005

Originally Posted by TED74 View Post
plen·ty
/ˈplen(t)ē/

a large or sufficient amount or quantity; more than enough.

...I tend to disagree that we have plenty. And I don't trust our hiring boards to consistently make the right call. They tell you they want to hire you if you've made it that far, but I know of so many poor choices - particularly rejections - that I don't believe it. Anyone who thinks they can tease out problematic candidates in a 30 minute chat around a table after that persons' body of work has earned an interview (particularly at the rate at which they reject candidates) is a bit overconfident in their own abilities.
Yeah maybe not plenty, but they are out there. I agree though the process is flawed based on how many good people are turned down.
Old 01-16-2022, 07:58 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2011

Originally Posted by Redtails4U View Post
So, I just finished my Delta interview at Atlanta and wanted to pass on what I experienced. I am a 40-50 year old African American Pilot with 25 plus years in the Service. BS with advance studies degree, 10,000+FW hours, 2200+Turb, 6000 +PIC, 7+ years Vol work, 1 Check ride downer 5 years pasted. No other issues.
The interview begins with the Basic, you're all great, relax and all we want to do is get to know you speech from Management. I did use Cage and an Application Prep/Review.
You will be taken to a small room (5x8) where you will wear a mask. The interviewers will introduce themselves (Two Captains and one HR) HR will tell you to, “Very, Very, Very briefly” tell us about yourself, this is where the fun begins. During my intro, I noticed one Captain looking at the floor the other looking at the wall and the HR person looking at me like I just boiled out of a test tube, all with dead pan faces During my intro I mentioned how when I was young, delivering Newspapers, I would pass an airport and watch airplanes. At the conclusion of my 2 min intro the only question came from HR as to why I did not list the Delivery of Newspapers on my Application under employment. I apologized and stated that it was over 38 years ago, and I did not realize the relevances. One of the Captains then showed me on the applications how it states “All employment”, and then asked if I understood the meaning of the word, “ALL”. Next came the questions on the log books which centered on training and flights from 25-30 years ago and a brief touch on my current position. (Why is this flight only 0.7, why did this flight take you 1.9 when the distance is only 100NM, at your current position why did you fly as PIC every other flight for these weeks and on this week you flew every other day. ect….) I explained as best I could remember, and many of my explanations were met with skepticism. This took about 30/40 mins. Then came the three TMAT questions. All were Negative based, When did you fail as a leader, When did you make a mistake and had to be corrected, How would you handle flying with someone who just does not like you.

In my opinion the interview was confrontational, leading to adversarial and ended with a general interrogation feel. In my opinion, Delta cared nothing about any positive elements and instead set a goal to find a chink in the armor, drill deep into the hole like a tick and hope to drag you in. I was unable to ask the other 15 or so non-minority applicants what they had experienced, as i was told within 30 mins that I did not meet the matrix and could reapply in 6 months.
This was my first interview with a Major and I write this because with all the prep and research the general tone of the interview/interrogation did catch me by surprise, and I believe contributed to the negative results.

Good luck to all and in the words of Mike Tyson, “ Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth”

Stay strong,
Snowman
Yup, took me forever to complete the job history - starting in ‘89 washing cars. But it said all jobs, so…

As far as the negative TMAAT, I’ve told many people who I’ve helped prep to expect those questions. It’s easy to tell stories about hair on fire, saving the day. I really expect them to dig into how you handle (own up, learn from, and help others) mistakes and bad experiences. Better luck on the next one!
Old 01-17-2022, 02:28 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2016

Originally Posted by TED74 View Post
This is a fundamental problem with our process. We hire folks who interview "well", despite the low correlation I suspect it must have with how one operates as a First Officer or Captain.
This is true not only here, but at all other jobs and industries.
It's hard to justify hiring people who don't interview well, especially if the panelists are not able to check off the key competencies that are prerequisite.
That's why there are all these interview prep companies who help good candidates do well in interviews.

Sorry to the OP for not getting the job. Hope you'll do better next time around.
Old 01-17-2022, 04:56 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2016

For indoc, I know people have stated it is positive space to go home on the weekend. Roughly how many people stick around vs going home? Does any one stay? Any advantages to sticking around that weekend? Excited to start! Thanks.
Old 01-17-2022, 05:06 AM
Has a furrowed brow

Joined APC: Dec 2019

Originally Posted by Antoine137 View Post
For indoc, I know people have stated it is positive space to go home on the weekend. Roughly how many people stick around vs going home? Does any one stay? Any advantages to sticking around that weekend? Excited to start! Thanks.

We had a few stick around if I remember right. They weren’t married or had anything going on back home, so they caught a Braves game and did some other Atlanta tourist stuff.

Advantages as far as with Delta? Not really. Granted they have changed indoc a bit, but I imagine it’s still a low threat week and a half.
Old 01-17-2022, 05:46 AM
Roll’n Thunder

Joined APC: Oct 2009
Position: Pilot

Originally Posted by Antoine137 View Post
The risk is you'd darn well be sure you make it back and are in class Monday morning. The farther away from ATL you live and/or the more connections you have to make to get back make that a dicey proposition for some. Not sure what time they're ending on Friday but depending on the flight schedules you're really only going home for a day (Saturday) before having to start your trek back to ATL on Sunday. If you live in Birmingham AL with numerous flights plus a drive option that's no big deal. Trying to two-leg it through SEA or LAX to somewhere out west seems like a waste of time. Plus with indoc being only 8 days (plus a travel day prior), if your family can't handle you being gone that long without seeing you for a day, you're probably in the wrong profession
Old 01-17-2022, 07:36 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2016

After getting the invite to interview I have elected to convert my spreadsheet logbook to Log 10 Pro. I'm finding I have some very minor hour differences (less than 5 hours on just a couple of flight times) and some time I didn't know I had. Has anyone run into this before and had to explain it in the interview? I have checked and cross-checked all of my 4500 hours of flight time as best as I can. I'm just hoping the fact it may be slightly off doesn't turn into a grilling session. I think it is mostly due to rounding. Looking forward to the interview! I'm hoping these don't constitute "significant changes". The only significant change that will be happening is I'll have upgraded to Captain at my current regional when I go to the interview.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:36 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2011

Originally Posted by Kevo2012 View Post
After getting the invite to interview I have elected to convert my spreadsheet logbook to Log 10 Pro. I'm finding I have some very minor hour differences (less than 5 hours on just a couple of flight times) and some time I didn't know I had. Has anyone run into this before and had to explain it in the interview? I have checked and cross-checked all of my 4500 hours of flight time as best as I can. I'm just hoping the fact it may be slightly off doesn't turn into a grilling session. I think it is mostly due to rounding. Looking forward to the interview! I'm hoping these don't constitute "significant changes". The only significant change that will be happening is I'll have upgraded to Captain at my current regional when I go to the interview.
I can’t give you a definitive answer, but in general I don’t think that’s a significant change. If anything, go with the lower number, which at 4500 hours is meaningless. That would be easy to explain in the interview if it even came up.

More recent interviewees can weigh in, but I believe you can update your app until 48 hours prior to the interview, at which point you should leave it as is. Good luck.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:42 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2014

Originally Posted by FangsF15 View Post
I can’t give you a definitive answer, but in general I don’t think that’s a significant change. If anything, go with the lower number, which at 4500 hours is meaningless. That would be easy to explain in the interview if it even came up.

More recent interviewees can weigh in, but I believe you can update your app until 48 hours prior to the interview, at which point you should leave it as is. Good luck.
Based upon my recent interview I agree with the above. They’ll ask you when you sit down to sign your airline apps application to verify accuracy/integrity. This is your chance to bring up any discrepancies. I had a similar rounding error (roughly 7 hours) in my totals and mentioned it immediately when asked. They asked if it would impact a background investigation or PRIA report. That was the extent of it, and I got the CJO. As long as it’s not a glaring omission that would bring your truthfulness into question, you should be good to go. That said, clean the numbers up to the max extent possible. Good luck.

My “error” was due to conversion to digital and a computational issue with the program the military uses to electronically log hours. Overall impact brought my hours to 7 hours more than on my application when it was pulled for the assessment.