Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Career Builder > Career Questions
Background checks and driving record >

Background checks and driving record

Notices
Career Questions Career advice, interview prep and gouges, job fairs, etc.

Background checks and driving record

Old 07-21-2021, 05:48 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2018

I honestly am having a hard time remembering when I got a speeding ticket. I remember it was on the mass pike, I believe it was near Lee. But it was like 20 years ago. How do I go about accurately reporting it? Pretty sure there was another one too. But again a very long time ago. What if I forget one? Is that a deal breaker? I am going to be applying to the regionals very soon but want to make sure I get everything. Any advice?
Old 07-21-2021, 09:05 PM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by NewCareer View Post
I honestly am having a hard time remembering when I got a speeding ticket. I remember it was on the mass pike, I believe it was near Lee. But it was like 20 years ago. How do I go about accurately reporting it? Pretty sure there was another one too. But again a very long time ago. What if I forget one? Is that a deal breaker? I am going to be applying to the regionals very soon but want to make sure I get everything. Any advice?
Pull your NDR, and applicable state records.

If you can't find the details, I would report the tickets and say you're not certain of the dates. That way if they somehow stumble on one, it will at least correlate to something your reported.

You don't need 100% precision, just give them enough info to relieve any suspicion of dishonesty.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:32 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2018

Ok. Thanks!
Old 07-24-2021, 09:39 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2006

Originally Posted by NewCareer View Post
I pulled every record I could get my hands on in both states I've been licensed in... DMV, State Police, City/County, and my NDR. All came back clean as a whistle. However, 4 tickets showed up when I did an online background check, so you may have luck searching your records that way.
Old 07-30-2021, 03:36 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2015

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Pull your NDR, and applicable state records.

If you can't find the details, I would report the tickets and say you're not certain of the dates. That way if they somehow stumble on one, it will at least correlate to something your reported.

You don't need 100% precision, just give them enough info to relieve any suspicion of dishonesty.
Exactly the technique I used. I estimated the date the best I could (some tickets were over 25 yrs ago) and in the remarks section wrote “dates estimated.” Wasn’t a topic of discussion at the interview. The key is you made the effort and demonstrated you weren’t hiding anything.
Old 08-17-2021, 07:05 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jul 2021

I don’t want to hijack the thread, but it’s related. I got a MIP when i was a juvenile that was dismissed. Is this something I should being up on my own in an interview or only answer if asked?
Old 08-17-2021, 07:33 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Originally Posted by Cactusbeavers View Post
I don’t want to hijack the thread, but it’s related. I got a MIP when i was a juvenile that was dismissed. Is this something I should being up on my own in an interview or only answer if asked?
By dismissed you mean arrested but not convicted or plead?

Basically you should not report anything they don't ask for... although if it's a grey area it's generally better to report it if in doubt than risk an employer interpreting the grey area the wrong way.

In the old days airlines commonly asked about arrests and convictions but these days I think they mostly ask about convictions only, lot's of restrictive labor laws.

All of these kinds of disclosures should be made in the application process... I would probably not ever bring something negative up in an interview that wasn't asked in person or on the application. The parts of the interview where you have the floor are your opportunity to cast yourself in a positive light. It's not confessional, don't feel the need to get everything off your chest (especially juvie stuff that they *probably* won't see anyhow).

The only place you commonly have to report arrests which didn't result in a conviction is on the FAA medical form, and that's only for motor-vehicle related issues... I'm assuming the MIP had nothing to do with a vehicle?

Bottom line... a MIP is a trivial issue that they won't care about. If it comes up, just tell them what you learned about following the rules. Minor youthful hijinks are tolerated or maybe almost expected in pilot candidates.
Old 08-17-2021, 07:41 AM
New Hire

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
By dismissed you mean arrested but not convicted or plead?

Basically you should not report anything they don't ask for... although if it's a grey area it's generally better to report it if in doubt than risk an employer interpreting the grey area the wrong way.

In the old days airlines commonly asked about arrests and convictions but these days I think they mostly ask about convictions only, lot's of restrictive labor laws.

All of these kinds of disclosures should be made in the application process... I would probably not ever bring something negative up in an interview that wasn't asked in person or on the application. The parts of the interview where you have the floor are your opportunity to cast yourself in a positive light. It's not confessional, don't feel the need to get everything off your chest (especially juvie stuff that they *probably* won't see anyhow).

The only place you commonly have to report arrests which didn't result in a conviction is on the FAA medical form, and that's only for motor-vehicle related issues... I'm assuming the MIP had nothing to do with a vehicle?

Bottom line... a MIP is a trivial issue that they won't care about. If it comes up, just tell them what you learned about following the rules. Minor youthful hijinks are tolerated or maybe almost expected in pilot candidates.
Correct, arrested but charge was dismissed. Nothing to do with a motor vehicle. The application asked nothing related to criminal history.
Old 08-17-2021, 09:52 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Originally Posted by Cactusbeavers View Post
Correct, arrested but charge was dismissed. Nothing to do with a motor vehicle. The application asked nothing related to criminal history.
You're good. They almost certainly will not ask about arrests at an interview but if they do be honest and tell them what you learned. It will be a net positive in that case.
Old 09-03-2021, 11:46 AM
New Hire

Update:

I was offered the job and again wasn’t asked about any criminal history in the interview. Company background check through a CRA is complete and came back completely clean.