Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Career Builder > Career Questions
What’s in PRIA besides training/checkrides? >

What’s in PRIA besides training/checkrides?

Search
Notices
Career Questions Career advice, interview prep and gouges, job fairs, etc.

What’s in PRIA besides training/checkrides?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2021, 09:26 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2015
Default What’s in PRIA besides training/checkrides?

Like the title says, what’s in a PRIA report besides training and checkride info?

I worked for about a year at a cargo 121 carrier. An opportunity presented itself with a military reserve assignment but was not USERRA-protected. The company wasn’t able to grant a leave and I wound up resigning to take the assignment. I fully understood that most people wouldn’t have done that. I think I resigned on good terms, but I’m a little concerned that that’ll be a red flag when trying to get back in the 121 world in the future.
Old 08-14-2021, 11:14 AM
In a land of unicorns

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO

There are two questions. What's actually in PRIA, and what must be in PRIA.
PRIA allows your employer to include all training records if they want and any disciplinary actions that relate to your performance as a pilot. I worked for a 135 and the PRIA response from them was almost 100 pages. They included every single piece of paper they had for me (and thats a good thing, I never had any issues).
Usually they just include a summary of training events you attended and if it was sat or unsat. But they are allowed to include a lot more if they want.
Old 08-14-2021, 08:59 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Thanks. I’ve heard you can FOIA your own PRIA, and I’ve also heard the only way to make a company send it is to have another company pull it. Can anybody shed light on this? My PRD online is all good with no issues there - I’m mainly wondering if my previous company would add anything else. Like I said, I think we parted on good terms, but I’d rather not have any surprises.
Old 08-14-2021, 10:15 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2017

I asked for a copy. It is pretty underwhelming. It verified my employment/position/dates. It was about 4 short lines of txt for each employer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2021, 09:48 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

There's nothing in your PRIA. PRIA is a law which requires certain information from specific sources to be provided to potential airline employers when they ask...

FAA: Certain FAA records will be provided to the potential employer. You can request a copy of those, but what you should really do (every year or two if you have apps out) is FOIA you *entire* FAA record.

NDR: PRIA requires that the employer pull your NDR, with your consent. Get a copy of that too, and I'd suggest doing a FOIA on your entire FBI file.

Employer: A hiring airline will send PRIA requests to previous aviation employers within a certain look back period. You can and should request a copy to yourself anytime this happens. You also can and should get a copy of your current employer's PRIA records (if they have any, all airlines do, military does not). I found a significant error in mine at my regional and I almost have to wonder if they were doing that on purpose to *enhance* retention. Or maybe they just accidentally recorded a failure where none existed?!?!? Or maybe I just pizzed somebody off.

For past employers, yeah they're not required to give you that info so make sure you get it before you leave. And check the box to get a copy anytime it gets pulled for an interview.

And this will all be replaced by PRD in 2-3 years, so sign up, log in, and check your records there too. *** DO NOT assume that PRD currently reflects everything in your record (it does not in my case) so you need to get your actual records because that's what employers will get until PRD replaces PRIA.
Old 08-15-2021, 10:21 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
FAA: Certain FAA records will be provided to the potential employer. You can request a copy of those, but what you should really do (every year or two if you have apps out) is FOIA you *entire* FAA record.
Wouldn’t this be essentially what’s in the online FAA PRD? I understand the full record has more fidelity in the forms. But if the PRD shows no issues, I would assume there wouldn’t be something erroneous in the full forms.
Old 08-15-2021, 10:39 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by RNO Flyer View Post
Wouldn’t this be essentially what’s in the online FAA PRD? I understand the full record has more fidelity in the forms. But if the PRD shows no issues, I would assume there wouldn’t be something erroneous in the full forms.
Once PRD actually replaces the PRIA, then you can probably rely on it. But it's not there yet.

Even when PRD goes live I would still get a copy of the full record... it is possible for airlines themselves to do a FOIA to get your full record, so they can see some info which PRIA does not mandate (warnings, LOI's?). Some airlines have been known to do that.

An airline doesn't get everything you get with a FOIA, but only sensitive personal info is excluded (mostly medical I believe).
Old 02-04-2022, 09:11 AM
Gets Weekends Off

This is probably a dumb question but I’ll ask it anyway. I was able to view PRIA from a previous company and they sent essentially every grade sheet they’d ever done on me which is fine. The big takeaway is no failed/repeated/additional events.

Is anybody at a future employer going to dig into the individual grade sheet comments from the sim and OE, or are they just going to look to see that the checkrides/qualifications I reported match what the previous company said?
Old 02-04-2022, 06:31 PM
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Your employer is asking because your employe is required to ask. It's an act of congress, and the employer can't employ you until having asked, and then with certain time passage, received.Your employer is making a good faith effort.

You're entitled to see everything your employer sees. It's a box you check on the form. That said, since the beginning of PRIA, I've never once had a copy of any of the records sent to me. I've requested them in every case.

Former employers are required to comply and notify the requesting parties about your training records and disciplinary action. Your former employer is not required to do a file dump, and most won't. Most employers aren't going to do more than receive the records. If you have training failures or disciplinary action (termination, for example) that you didn't disclose, then it may be an issue with your present employer. Beyond that, an employer isn't going to care about a "score" you received on your prior training, or call a former employer. Why did Mr. Ross get a sat/unsat...or 1,2,3,4,5...etc? Your new employer will do due diligence in checking and training and produce their own records. What the new employer does want is to comply with the law, and what the new employer does not want is to be surprised with the liability of an employee with a history of failures who comes aboard and hurts the employers operation or reputation.

Where former records will bite you is when you haven't been open or disclosed the past, and you need to know your past that will show up. Cheryl Cage's book, Reporting Clear, was a standard primer for some time in explaining how and why one should know one's background as it will be presented, before the future employer does. It's still available for purchase from Cage Marshall consulting.
Old 02-05-2022, 10:36 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2021

Are part 91 operations required to participate in PRIA? What, if anything, would a 121 carrier require from a 91 operator?