Eastern entering the cargo market

Subscribe
1  2  3  4 
Page 1 of 4
Go to
Eastern is jumping in to the cargo market with the purchase of 35 B777s.

https://www.wfmz.com/news/pr_newswir...51e1da870.html
So let me get this straight. Reading their news release they’re going to put smoke detectors on the main deck and be flying the first quarter next year. But “Future derivative plans for the design include a palletized loading system and an Express Main Deck cargo door.” So they’re going to start out playing walk a box in a triple 7? Because without a palletized floor that’s what they’re going to be doing. And without a cargo door it’ll be limited to what fits through the passenger door. This will be interesting.
What are the pay rates,
Contract or non union?
Home basing or bases?
Per diem rate?
Most junior CA DOH?
Work days per bid?
Min guarantee?
Break guarantee often?

Is there an info page someplace…..
Quote: So let me get this straight. Reading their news release they’re going to put smoke detectors on the main deck and be flying the first quarter next year. But “Future derivative plans for the design include a palletized loading system and an Express Main Deck cargo door.” So they’re going to start out playing walk a box in a triple 7? Because without a palletized floor that’s what they’re going to be doing. And without a cargo door it’ll be limited to what fits through the passenger door. This will be interesting.
"This move is not just a game changer for Eastern, it will also transform the industry."

"Our pioneering conversion method is tailored specifically to meet the needs of express package freight customers,"

This is neither “transformational” nor “pioneering”. It’s Airborne Express.
Quote: "This move is not just a game changer for Eastern, it will also transform the industry."

"Our pioneering conversion method is tailored specifically to meet the needs of express package freight customers,"

This is neither “transformational” nor “pioneering”. It’s Airborne Express.
Sorta, except that this is not a YS-11. DC-9 or even a DC-8. This (-200's) are at a minimum, 209 foot long widebodies. It will take hours to load and unload. Even with cheap lease/buy rates those jets need to be in the air a minimum of 12-14 hours a day just to pay for the parts they use in regular service. Add in the inevitable AOG problem and it gets ugly fast.

I believe that this is a play by the managment of Eastern 4 point whatever to raise funds for their operation. Freight is sexy to airline investors right now due to the price per kilo/pound surge we have seen because of COVID. I'd love to know where they are going to find financing for 35 airframes. While some of the older aircraft may be considered obsolete there are millions of dollars of parts let alone the scrap value in them. Cheap acquisition here is a very relative term.
Quote: What are the pay rates,
Contract or non union?
Home basing or bases?
Per diem rate?
Most junior CA DOH?
Work days per bid?
Min guarantee?
Break guarantee often?

Is there an info page someplace…..
Eastern is hiring
Quote: I believe that this is a play by the managment of Eastern 4 point whatever to raise funds for their operation. Freight is sexy to airline investors right now due to the price per kilo/pound surge we have seen because of COVID. I'd love to know where they are going to find financing for 35 airframes. While some of the older aircraft may be considered obsolete there are millions of dollars of parts let alone the scrap value in them. Cheap acquisition here is a very relative term.
I think you’re on the nose with this. What’s interesting is I didn’t even know they had a cargo certificate. I know that concept that your airline had to have ops specs before operating a certain way was thrown out the window during Covid. But I thought they would start watching out for items such as this. Also, what’s the timeline for 35 airframes?
Whaaaaaa ha ha ha! 100% bull****!
Quote: Sorta, except that this is not a YS-11. DC-9 or even a DC-8. This (-200's) are at a minimum, 209 foot long widebodies. It will take hours to load and unload. Even with cheap lease/buy rates those jets need to be in the air a minimum of 12-14 hours a day just to pay for the parts they use in regular service. Add in the inevitable AOG problem and it gets ugly fast.

I believe that this is a play by the managment of Eastern 4 point whatever to raise funds for their operation. Freight is sexy to airline investors right now due to the price per kilo/pound surge we have seen because of COVID. I'd love to know where they are going to find financing for 35 airframes. While some of the older aircraft may be considered obsolete there are millions of dollars of parts let alone the scrap value in them. Cheap acquisition here is a very relative term.
Another question is, where will they find pilots for 35 widebodies.
Eastern Airlines received $9,259,648 CARES Act payroll support and a $2 – $5 million PPP loan.

That’s how they can afford this, thanks to you, the taxpayers. And whoever is selling these aircraft, get your cash upfront.
1  2  3  4 
Page 1 of 4
Go to