560XL+ 4 fatal Connecticut

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5  6 
Page 2 of 6
Go to
Quote: 3665’ runway under the 60% rule gives 2200’
Quick online search on 560 performance figures shows numbers that are significantly higher but those are probably all MTOW and MLW.
In any case this was likely a Part 91 operation?
Yeah, it seems like a bloody-short runway to be operating a jet out of, and even if it can "technically make it", you erase any safety margin by going right to the minimums.
Quote: Yeah, it seems like a bloody-short runway to be operating a jet out of, and even if it can "technically make it", you erase any safety margin by going right to the minimums.
Elsewhere, the BFL was shown to be 2805’ on a TORA of 3665’, APG numbers.
If the brakes are applied (or stuck) from a stranding start all the way down the runway, A/S, BFL, etc aren't going to matter either way.

All performance numbers assume the brakes are released.
Quote: If the brakes are applied (or stuck) from a stranding start all the way down the runway, A/S, BFL, etc aren't going to matter either way.

All performance numbers assume the brakes are released.
True enough, but the only brake indications are in the last 1,000’ or less. They certainly went off the end at high energy indicating the brakes weren’t a factor til nearing the end.
Quote: True enough, but the only brake indications are in the last 1,000’ or less. They certainly went off the end at high energy indicating the brakes weren’t a factor til nearing the end.
I initially thought from the video that the braking started near the beginning of the roll, but maybe not. That would make more sense.
Quote: I initially thought from the video that the braking started near the beginning of the roll, but maybe not. That would make more sense.
That was what the video suggested. Lighter marks at the beginning showing abs usage apparently and then much heavier, solid black at the departure end. Doesn't add up to me that the initial marks are from this jet, but I'll reserve any speculation.
Quote: I initially thought from the video that the braking started near the beginning of the roll, but maybe not. That would make more sense.
Departure was on 02, marks are on the 20 piano keys.
Quote: Departure was on 02, marks are on the 20 piano keys.
The darker marks are. His theory starts at about 5:20 in the vid - shows marks prior to the 02 thousand footers that he believes were from this aircraft.
In theory the anti-skid should prevent those skid marks near the end. But if they went for the Emer Brake that could have done it.
There was a Phenom 300 that landed in heavy rain, thought they had lost normal braking, and applied emer brakes. All they did was steam clean the runway before going off the end.
Operator came out with a new policy that prohibited use of emer brakes unless there was a CAS message for normal brakes.
Quote: In theory the anti-skid should prevent those skid marks near the end. But if they went for the Emer Brake that could have done it.
Jb's video explains that there are marks consistent with anti-skid operation, that would probably preclude the parking brake.
1  2  3  4  5  6 
Page 2 of 6
Go to