560XL+ 4 fatal Connecticut

Subscribe
2  3  4  5  6 
Page 6 of 6
Go to
No warning for Parking Brake set..
No,

Unfortunately, the US version of the XL/XLS and I'm pretty sure the XLS+ do not have a warning for Parking Brake set.. The No Takeoff Light is not triggered by the Parking Brake position on the US Models of the XL/XLS. Only the EASA versions have that warning. I call "Parking Brake set,... Parking Brake released" as part of my flow because of the Oroville XL, CA overrun, an Encore+ in the Bahamas, and now this. That being said, IMHO, this airport's runway was WAY too short for this jet unless everything was PERFECT. No 135 Operator would be allowed to fly an Excel into and out of a runway this short.

I know that this would be a tough conversation for a Part 91 corporate pilot to have with "the Boss", but sir this jet needs a longer runway. I met a corporate guy in SLC that told me that they fly a Piaggio in and out of Palo Alto and my VNR alumni and myself couldn't believe it.

RIP to the crew and the passengers.
JB weighs in on the prelim, rational discussion...

Reported indications that one engine got FODed out by the impact with the power lines. Also lost a flap there.

FDR indicates T/O thrust throughout the event, so no reject attempt.

Also that rotation pitch attitude did not correspond to elevator inputs, ie brake force held the nose down. At least until the wheels got airborne, then big positive pitch excursion.

Confirms that PB is *not* monitored by T/O warning sys.

Bit vague on A/S operation, but the skid marks hint that it was both releasing and applying pressure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGBMy05Y09c
The end of the runway is elevated above the neighboring streets, with the power lines below the runway elevation. When we arrived (responded mutual aid with the FD) on scene the top third of the wood telephone pole was sheared and hanging in the wires with part of the aircraft near it on the ground.

It appeared they got airborne more because of the ground falling away, rather than a rotation. The very large commercial building it hit was in a straight line about another 800’ or so from the pole. Anyone know if the final report is out yet?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Quote: Anyone know if the final report is out yet?
It's early for that, maybe after one year. Or maybe two. If the root cause is straightforward, it will be on the sooner side.
NTSB final report is out for the similar 560XL crash in KOVE which occurred two years prior to the CT fatal accident. Basically set the park brake and took off with it set due to distractions.

They achieved V1 and Vr but couldn't rotate, so rejected and went off the end (no injuries fortunately).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiQhxXcqGOE
No checklist or light needed, just airmanship
Quote: It's early for that, maybe after one year. Or maybe two. If the root cause is straightforward, it will be on the sooner side.
No final yet but the NTSB does have an opinion which differs from Textron:
Require Safeguards to Prevent Cessna 560XL Takeoff with Parking Brake Engaged (ntsb.gov)
2  3  4  5  6 
Page 6 of 6
Go to