Notices
Major Legacy, National, and LCC

Best "I quit!" story

Old 09-08-2021, 10:03 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2016

Originally Posted by bruhaha View Post
Pilot quit when his wife called and told him she was going into labor. So he called scheduling to get released and was told that there were no reserves available and that he had to operate the flight. He talked to the chief pilot who told him he had to operate the flight. So he tendered his resignation on the phone right there. Got in his car and drove down to headquarters, turned in badge, Jepps and flight manuals and kept on driving to the hospital.
I never know if these are true stories or not but this was would be walking away for.
Old 09-08-2021, 10:59 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2020

Originally Posted by turbojet28 View Post
I know a guy who was given a class date at a legacy airline, and so happened to receive the call while operating a turn into the city from where he commutes. He went up to the gate, left his ID and walked straight to his car and never looked back. This was more than a decade ago.
This happened to a friend of mine in 2001. Lived in PHX, less than 1 yr on with AA based in MIA. Lots of "talk" about furloughs post 9/11 but nothing "official" from CPO and/or company.

Many were not showing for trips because they thought they were going to be furloughed anyway so take one last sick callout etc, he shows up and flys trip in MIA. When he finishes, AA rep meets him at the gate with a letter informing him that he is furloughed effective immediately and takes his AA ID, thereby blocking any JS back to his home.

Had to beg a buddy pass on another airline to get back to PHX.

AA was a very harsh company back in 2001. Many considered their treatment of furlughees unnecessarily rude. They used to charge their own pilots a fee to ride their own JS if a seat was vacant in the back to/from work.
Old 09-08-2021, 11:48 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2011

Here's one, confirmed. Throws back some, best I ever heard. As surrender becomes inevitable, an ME262 pilot gets 'out of position' on patrol and diverts to a Swiss runway. Effectively terminating his Luftwaffe commission while ducking harm's way. Won't recount other parts of the story since there's a wiki page, attached. He owned a small apartment not far from where the condo collapsed recently on Miami Beach. Invited him to join us and a few friends for dinner one evening in the mid-eighties. This is how he showed up. Talked my wife into dropping him off at MIA for his ride home on Pan Am a few days later. At the ticket counter, the agent was loudly advised she had neglected to write the intercourse. "How can you find your flight without an intercourse," bellowed the dapper doc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Guido_Mutke

20181213_155717_IMG_0320 (2).jpeg
Old 09-08-2021, 11:58 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: Volleyball Player

Originally Posted by at6d View Post
I liked the FA story a few years back when he took two beers and popped the slide and took off.
Yes, that one is hard to top.
Old 09-10-2021, 06:03 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by bruhaha View Post
Pilot quit when his wife called and told him she was going into labor. So he called scheduling to get released and was told that there were no reserves available and that he had to operate the flight. He talked to the chief pilot who told him he had to operate the flight. So he tendered his resignation on the phone right there. Got in his car and drove down to headquarters, turned in badge, Jepps and flight manuals and kept on driving to the hospital.
Better option would be to call in unfit (tell them, don't ask them), since you can make the legal case that you'd be too distracted if a close family member was in a medical crisis of any sort.
Old 09-10-2021, 06:16 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2021

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Better option would be to call in unfit (tell them, don't ask them), since you can make the legal case that you'd be too distracted if a close family member was in a medical crisis of any sort.
Look squirrel!

Pay no attention to the covid vax thread
Old 09-10-2021, 07:20 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by dualinput View Post
Look squirrel!

Pay no attention to the covid vax thread
This is "airline" pilot central, not "unhinged covid pilot" central.

But there's a forum for covid if you want to go there.
Old 09-10-2021, 08:00 AM
It's 5 o'clock somewhere

Joined APC: Oct 2020

+1 vote for you guys immediately deleting the incessant boring repetitive COVID/VAX/horse dewormer threads that keep popping up like mushrooms in my lawn! Oh the huge manatee!
Old 09-10-2021, 08:44 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2021

I agree I just found it funny that the minute that thread got closed you decided to post on another thread that hasn’t seen a post in two days just to bring it to the top.
Old 09-10-2021, 08:56 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2010
Position: CRJ FO

Back in 2010-2011? things were beginning to ramp up at skywest and reassignments were becoming common. Lax Fo got reassigned one too many times. Got out of his seat, walked over to the lounge/cp office in terminal 8 and turned in his badge. Said he was done and was not going to put up with scheduling anymore. HG was the ACP at the time and who handled his on the spot resignation.