Falcon 20 Came Up Short, 2 Fatalities

Subscribe
Early morning approach in bad weather outside Augusta, GA (HQU); crashed into a field. Notams state GS & PAPI o/s for RWY10.

Kathryn's Report: Dassault Falcon 20E-5, N283SA: Fatal accident occurred October 05, 2021 near Thomson-McDuffie County Airport (KHQU), Georgia

The KHQU Notam appears to possibly contain a non-standard contraction. ILS RWY 10 GP “U/S” is not listed in the Notam Contractions dictionary AFAIK.

Perhaps it should have been “OTS” for Out of Service?
Quote: The KHQU Notam appears to possibly contain a non-standard contraction. ILS RWY 10 GP “U/S” is not listed in the Notam Contractions dictionary AFAIK.

Perhaps it should have been “OTS” for Out of Service?
Effective Jan 10, 2019 by FAA order 7930.2S 1−4−6.v. Definitions. Out of Service. Added: Unserviceable “U/S” to OUT OF SERVICE definition.
Quote: Effective Jan 10, 2019 by FAA order 7930.2S 1−4−6.v. Definitions. Out of Service. Added: Unserviceable “U/S” to OUT OF SERVICE definition.
Yes, the reason was to align with ICAO terminology.
I thought the weather wasn’t bad at the actual time, though it was well before sunrise. I had read that the glide-slope to rwy 10 was Notam’ed out, well prior. It is a nice runway.

They had been up a good while, what I saw.
PAPI was also out...too complacent or rushed to land the other direction or make an overhead circuit? They were a little high, a bit edgy to continue the straight-in under these circumstances if it worked...too edgy as it turns out. Still waiting for NTSB factual, curious if they'd been in there before as that could have upped their confidence.