Search
Notices
Career Questions Career advice, interview prep and gouges, job fairs, etc.

Private learning

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2021, 02:28 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2019
Default Private learning

Deployed for a few months overseas and got a lot of free time on my hands. What type of learning or reading would you recommend I start for my private while I’m here if any? If I did a ground school now would I forget anything by the time I get home and am able to start flying?
Old 10-12-2021, 04:59 PM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

You could go through the book learning and then refresh as needed when you start flying. That's actually the normal format, the CFI will cover info pertinent to each flight in the pre-brief.

If you can find a place to take the written, definitely get that knocked out... it has little to do with actual flying. Some base flying clubs probably offer written tests, or maybe at the education center.
Old 10-12-2021, 05:13 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2018

^^THIS^^
ASA’s Private Pilot Test Prep book + swivel plotter + E6B would be the most potent $50 you could spend right now...
Old 10-13-2021, 05:55 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2021

Plenty of books out there but don't feel the need to get every one and over load yourself. 1 or 2 is good to start. You can get the FAA’s Airplane Flying Handbook and/or Pilot’s Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge for free as a PDF from their website if that suits your style. Or ASA reprints them as a physical book, I like ASA’s product. Plenty of other options & advice on this site under different threads. If you have an option to take the written test, plenty of online programs specific to the written are out there… but keep in mind written tests are only good for 24 months so if you take it, that could become a self imposed deadline to get your check ride done.