Notices
Regional Regional Airlines

Every Regional Pilot question answered 2022

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2022, 09:16 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: May 2022

Originally Posted by Mx241 View Post
You need to plan to have all of your ratings and 1500 hours in 7 years when you retire. You need an 84 month plan.
step1) written test $400+-
* Read the Airplane Flying Handbook and read it cover to cover twice. (FAA 8083? Google it)
* Read parts 61 and 91 Google part 61 private pilot requirements and go from there.
* Get a private pilot study course. gleim, sportys, ASA, King doesn’t matter (others chime in)
dedicate yourself to finishing your private pilot written exam in 1 month. 2 months max. Do this before you begin flight training and shoot for 90% or higher on all written exams. This is a good test to determine if being a pilot is something you really want to do.
step2) private pilot training 10-15k
* have time scheduled before you begin
* have access to 15k
* find a flight instructor that will meet 3-5 days a week at 6am. Primary training is easier just after sunrise and the airplanes are available and you avoid Oklahoma afternoon t-storms.
* fly 3-5 times a week until you complete your private.
Once you get your private start studying for your instrument and repeat the process. After the instrument you’ll need a strategy to build 250 hours for the commercial. During this time take your commercial and both CFI written exams. When you hit 200 hours get back with your instructor and spend 20 hours learning commercial maneuvers (10 dual 10 solo.) Do commercial maneuvers from the right seat for 10 hours. Finish your last 20 hours from the left seat and take the commercial checkride. You should be ready to take your CFI ride within a month at this point (writtens are done)
This can all be done in 24-36 months.
Plane $140x275hrs=$38,500
Instructor $50x80hrs= $4,000
Examiner fees ppl, inst, comm-1800 cfi-1200= $3,000 total
$45,500 total. I recommend planning 50-60k to be safe. You’ll have to get a ME rating at some point.
If you do all that in 36 months you’ll have 48 months to CFI as a second job and build your 1250 remaining hours about 27/month. This is a huge commitment that requires a complete lifestyle change. Share this with your wife and make sure the family is on board before you spend 50k. My Son started this at while working a professional/salary job but he was single. Completed his PPL in 6 weeks flying before work every day. He managed to time build with friends and got a 135 job flying Barons and 402’s so he avoided instructing and quit his real job. He’s flying for a regional now at 27. That’s not an option with your retirement plan but you get the idea. You have to be determined. You probably have a lot of PTO and personal days off too. It’s doable.
Hope this helps.
Good luck.

Thanks so much for the information and time it took to help me with this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2022, 09:17 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: May 2022

Originally Posted by ImSoSuss View Post
Do what is best for you. Some of these people have no clue what "real life" is. They'll tell you to give up securing financial stability for the rest of your life to "beat the wave" and the next thing you know your on furlough for years. There will still be plenty of flying to be had when you are 41 and you will still have a long career.

Thanks for the sound advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2022, 10:39 AM
Gets Everyday Off

Joined APC: Aug 2016
Position: Relaxed

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
This is not correct, unless you have no interest in top tier employers.

Is it possible to get hired without TPIC? Yes.

Will you be significantly more competitive with TPIC? Yes.
What if one goes to a second tier, works there for a year, then puts in an app at a top tier? Would they be as or more competitive that a TPIC at a regional?
Old 05-24-2022, 10:45 AM

Joined APC: Jul 2018
Position: Reserve

Originally Posted by TransWorld View Post
What if one goes to a second tier, works there for a year, then puts in an app at a top tier? Would they be as or more competitive that a TPIC at a regional?
Depends, can’t speak to other legacies but I know of one that is currently metering hiring from their WO and other regionals that do connection work for them. And in the meantime, many candidates are getting hired with 0 TPIC from ULCC competitors and starting class well before those with TPIC at regionals.
Old 05-24-2022, 10:49 AM
Gets Everyday Off

Joined APC: Aug 2016
Position: Relaxed

Originally Posted by Bike Handles View Post
Depends, can’t speak to other legacies but I know of one that is currently metering hiring from their WO and other regionals that do connection work for them. And in the meantime, many candidates are getting hired with 0 TPIC from ULCC competitors and starting class well before those with TPIC at regionals.
In this environment, that goes without saying. Have several that have talked about it.
Old 05-24-2022, 10:59 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Jdub2 View Post
I just don’t know about that anymore Rick. 20% of my class at the Top Tier employer had 0 TPIC. The assessment removes half of the applicants so they are adjusting the formula. I know quite a few FOs from my previous shop with interviews lined up as well.
There is a definite shift to legacies grabbing a few people who they think are a good fit prior to upgrade... basically to get them before somebody else does. But I think the bar is pretty high for that, ie you have to have just the right mix of whatever the hell they think they're looking for this week.

The other 80% still need TPIC (although not very much in many cases). Unless your Dad's a CP at a legacy it's hard to predict in advance which group you're in.

I would by no means delay applying to tier one JUST to get some TPIC. In the past, having the TPIC was a nice fallback in the event of furlough but if you get on right now you should be fairly furlough-proof in a couple three years.

Originally Posted by Jdub2 View Post
I hear what you’re saying, that TPIC still is worth gold and adds a lot of points. But conversely I know a few CA that have not gotten the call.
That's always been the case.
Old 05-24-2022, 11:07 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by TransWorld View Post
I'm going to say less. But right now that may be shifting because legacies don't want to hire ALL of their own regional pilots all at once.

The extra type rating helps. But I know major FO's who aren't get called by the top tier even with apps out.

The risk of leaving a regional without TPIC is that if things slow down even a bit, TPIC will become more relevant and now you can't get any (until upgrade at your LCC).

If you're young I'd stay for the TPIC. The difference between a top tier and LCC career adds up over time. If you're closer to 50 than not, you'll be a NB CA either way so not leaving as much on the table.