Notices
Pilot Health FAA medical; health topics

Lung collapse (Pneumothorax)

Old 11-24-2021, 04:34 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2016
Default Lung collapse (Pneumothorax)

Gals and Guys,

I had spontaneous minor lung collapse that made me check into ER and I am staying here for the next 3 days.
I know there will be a long road ahead of me to regain my medical, but if someone has had a similar experience I would greatly appreciate any tips. I need to talk to a pulmonologist who is familiar with the FAA protocol. The question is whether I must undergo a surgery in order to get back my medical or there are ways to do that without going under the knife.
If someone can recommend a good pulmonologist or AME doc that can assist me in getting back my medical I will greatly appreciate it.

Thanks much in advance.

Stay healthy.
Old 11-25-2021, 06:18 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2015

Originally Posted by cskafan123 View Post
Gals and Guys,

I had spontaneous minor lung collapse that made me check into ER and I am staying here for the next 3 days.
I know there will be a long road ahead of me to regain my medical, but if someone has had a similar experience I would greatly appreciate any tips. I need to talk to a pulmonologist who is familiar with the FAA protocol. The question is whether I must undergo a surgery in order to get back my medical or there are ways to do that without going under the knife.
If someone can recommend a good pulmonologist or AME doc that can assist me in getting back my medical I will greatly appreciate it.

Thanks much in advance.

Stay healthy.
Sorry to hear about this. My suggestion is to work through Mayo Clinic. Not only are you dealing with the best of the best in terms of doctors and care, but they have an aerospace medicine branch (google Mayo Clinic Clear Approach). If you can are working with one of their pulmonary docs, they may be able to coordinate with the aerospace people when the time comes. You can call the guy at the Mayo Aerospace Dept and talk it through with him too.

If not Mayo, I would suggest Johns Hopkins, Cleveland Clinic, etc...somewhere very reputable.

Best of luck

Good luck!
Old 11-25-2021, 06:52 AM
Perennial Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by cskafan123 View Post
Gals and Guys,

Thanks much in advance.

Stay healthy.
Requires FAA sign-off but usually no big deal unless subsequent x-rays show you have other blebs (little dilated air sacs) that are at risk for popping and causing recurrence.:

Even then not a huge deal, although they generally will inject a chemical into the space between the lung and the inner chest wall to cause adhesions so any future collapse will be small and self limiting. Spontaneous pneumothorax isn’t terribly uncommon and the outcome is usually reasonably benign, although not something you would want to happen during a cabin depressurization.
Old 11-25-2021, 02:28 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Default Pneumothorax

Thank you both for the reply. I will be talking to Mayo Clinic right after the Thanksgiving. I know it won't be an easy road but I will do whatever it takes. I was wondering if someone has already taken that path and what their experience was like?

Stay healthy ! Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-25-2021, 04:13 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: 767 FO

My suggestion would be to get extra copies of all X-rays and documents. Speak with an ame and or Harvey watt ti start the process because it’ll take about a year from start to finish. I had mine in 2007 and didnt require any additional surgery. Only more X-rays. Good luck
Old 11-25-2021, 04:48 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2014
Position: 121

Burr Ross in Phoenix is an AME and pulmonologist. Lots of swa folks use him.
Old 11-25-2021, 04:54 PM
Perennial Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2018
Default The military experience….

Clinical Practice Guideline
Old 11-25-2021, 06:40 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Thank you all for the valuable information. Lots of interesting publications. Looks like a surgery is the only option. I will have to decide when and where to perform it, but first have to see what the folks from Mayo Clinic have to say. Hate to go under the knife but I'd do anything to get back to flying.
Old 11-26-2021, 06:10 PM
Banned

Joined APC: May 2017

Good info above

basically this is something seen in young adult men. Easily fixable, go on and live your life
Old 12-13-2021, 09:25 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Default Mayo Clinic Clear Approach

Has anyone used Mayo Clinic Clear Approach program for getting back their medical? Trying to decide which aviation medical consultant to talk to in regards my pneumothorax and followed VAT pleurodesis surgery.

Thanks