Atlas 76 vs ABX 76

Subscribe
Hello, long time lurker first time poster. I’ve been looking through all the forums and got a lot of info but now it’s come down to this subject. For reference, currently a regional captain trying to move into the cargo world. I’m also in the reserves (pretty actively) and I have a family with small kids. I would like to be home as much as possible between these two (central Florida resident). Thanks for any advice.
ACMI flying and max time at home don't belong in the same sentence. Much of ACMI is based on that you will be on the road 16 - 17 days straight. Some lines are broken up. If you lived in CVG, I might say go for it and bid reserve, but even that is a crap shoot.

I guess you've noticed that Amazon has been running a mini-hub operation out of KLAL, and might be hoping for LAL layovers, or trip sequences beginning and ending there. Idk if that's the case with either operator flying in and out of there. Be aware that Amazon, DHL, etal don't mind playing musical chairs with different operators, aircraft, and schedules. Sweet deals have the duration of a bowl of ice cream on a hot summer day in ACMI business.

It would seem to me that a LCC with FL domicile (Jet Blue, F9, NK that have those) would be a better fit with flexibility to add/drop trips, and work much less than 16 - 17 days. I'm guessing you're fed up with passengers, and want payloads that don't complain. Either choice has compromises.
Quote: Hello, long time lurker first time poster. I’ve been looking through all the forums and got a lot of info but now it’s come down to this subject. For reference, currently a regional captain trying to move into the cargo world. I’m also in the reserves (pretty actively) and I have a family with small kids. I would like to be home as much as possible between these two (central Florida resident). Thanks for any advice.
"Central Florida"

Orlando base:

JetBlue (senior tho, but they have it)
Frontier
Spirit (I think) or at least very active lots of flights at MCO
Southwest

Tampa base:

Frontier

Cargo

ACMI cargo does not meet the "be home as much as possible"
Florida cargo = Amerijet 767s

that leaves FedEx and UPS. UPS = Miami base.

Good luck
Quote: "
ACMI cargo does not meet the "be home as much as possible"
Florida cargo = Amerijet 767s

Good luck
Depends on the ACMI.
At Omni we have guys living near SEA, DFW, BWI, IAD who bid reserve and spend a lot of days at home. Even if they get called out, very often they are sleeping in their own bed.
We aren't the typical ACMI though. All passenger up until Covid... now we do that new in-seat cargo stuff every once in a while, still rare though.
What do you guys/gals on the ABX side typically credit a month?