Notices
Leaving the Career Alternative careers for pilots

So close to leaving the career

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2022, 10:28 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2021

Originally Posted by reandld View Post
Just go away. Please. People here are trying to learn from each other and express their ideas in a safe place.
Yes, second major. Finally "made it" after all these years, but found that I'm still just not into it. The options are to work as little as possible, save money and find fulfillment elsewhere or make a change. One thing that makes the former difficult is that the airline life is pretty disruptive. Idk...thought maybe you had found a tech job, which interests me, so thought I'd ask. Good luck!
Old 02-28-2022, 05:41 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Dec 2016
Position: Sitting

Originally Posted by reservelyfe View Post
Yes, second major. Finally "made it" after all these years, but found that I'm still just not into it. The options are to work as little as possible, save money and find fulfillment elsewhere or make a change. One thing that makes the former difficult is that the airline life is pretty disruptive. Idk...thought maybe you had found a tech job, which interests me, so thought I'd ask. Good luck!
I hear you man. It seems like everyone around you loves the lifestyle but I never cared for it. I really enjoy flying planes though. It seems the Tech field has a lot of emerging areas that one can find something that sticks with them. I do remember at the regional I flew with someone who was a software developer before joining the regionals. If I remember, he was trying to get a part time job doing the software.

It's an interesting discussion and thanks for sharing. The problem with getting on at a major airline job is the Golden Handcuffs. We're afraid to leave the higher pay than we're used to, plus the retirement benefits and thought of being the ultra senior captain working two trips a month. It can work out good if you want to stick it out I think but things suck at times.
Old 03-04-2022, 11:02 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2016

You can look into flight coordinator jobs. It something that provides a paycheck while you go back to school or retool. Just an idea.
Old 03-06-2022, 05:48 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Dream Job

Or airport operations positions. I just made he switch and I like so far. Plus it lets me use all the aviation knowledge that I already have.

Sent from my BTV-W09 using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2022, 05:14 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2015
Default Thanks for the insight

Originally Posted by reservelyfe View Post
...Finally "made it" after all these years, but found that I'm still just not into it. The options are to work as little as possible, save money and find fulfillment elsewhere or make a change. One thing that makes the former difficult is that the airline life is pretty disruptive.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I left the regionals a few years back and am actually contemplating going back to the airlines. It's not a matter I'm taking lightly. I know the downsides of the pilot lifestyle. I am currently in an office job and I am no longer feeling "into it". A couple of key reason for my own personal disengagement are: having to work within the confines of Sr. Management's business decisions no matter how much those choices undercut efforts to reach goals [like willfully choosing to under-staff], hitting the glass ceiling, "Meh" pay & benefits [most regional CA's have better pay], and as I get older, I ask myself where do I go if my position is eliminated when I am in my 50's? My company eliminated quite a few positions for "older" people during COVID. Outside of flying, I don't have any hard skill sets like engineering, software/IT, Chemistry, etc. But maybe most of those problems could be "solved" by running your own company? YMMV.
Old 03-08-2022, 09:43 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Dream Job

Originally Posted by cornerpocket View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience. I left the regionals a few years back and am actually contemplating going back to the airlines. It's not a matter I'm taking lightly. I know the downsides of the pilot lifestyle. I am currently in an office job and I am no longer feeling "into it". A couple of key reason for my own personal disengagement are: having to work within the confines of Sr. Management's business decisions no matter how much those choices undercut efforts to reach goals [like willfully choosing to under-staff], hitting the glass ceiling, "Meh" pay & benefits [most regional CA's have better pay], and as I get older, I ask myself where do I go if my position is eliminated when I am in my 50's? My company eliminated quite a few positions for "older" people during COVID. Outside of flying, I don't have any hard skill sets like engineering, software/IT, Chemistry, etc. But maybe most of those problems could be "solved" by running your own company? YMMV.
I made a pit stop in IT and I completely understand the management preventing the goals. I think I'll like airport operations but I will never make airline money.

Sent from my BTV-W09 using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2022, 10:13 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2015

Originally Posted by tlove482 View Post
I made a pit stop in IT and I completely understand the management preventing the goals. I think I'll like airport operations but I will never make airline money.
Airport Ops sounds like it combines a little bit of everything from the industry to keep it interesting and engaging for a long time. You've got something good!
Old 03-10-2022, 03:59 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2021

Originally Posted by cornerpocket View Post
Yes, being laid of in your 50s is a very real possibility. It often depends on what you're doing and whether or not you can build the rare and valuable skills that would result in you being kept around or being able to branch out on your own. When leaving flying, people are already getting a late start. They then have to believe that, if they're going to be an employee, by the time they hit their 50s they've built up the skills/career capital to continue to be successful. Personally, I'm not certain I have the ability to do that. I meet some high achieving people who are pilots. They could really do anything and be successful. Most of us, though, are just average people trying to make a living.