Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Pilot Lounge > Money Talk
End of Dollar being moved along much quicker? >

End of Dollar being moved along much quicker?

Notices
Money Talk Your hard-earned money

End of Dollar being moved along much quicker?

Old 03-22-2022, 07:33 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Myfingershurt View Post
Not as much as they used to. They’ve diversified quite a bit and now have unbalanced trade agreements with countries all over the globe.
This is true, and accelerated during and after covid.
Old 03-22-2022, 08:36 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

This guy explains some of the problems with large-scale solar (including woke foriegn policy considerations)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OpM_zKGE4o

There's a reason that governments and industry are doing expensive experimentation with space-based solar... because they know ground-based will not cut it.

Meanwhile, France is 70% nuclear... so 70% zero carbon grid power.

Now hypothetically you could overcome some of the limitations by using solar in remote desert locations to run air-to-liquid fuel production facilities, and then ship the fuel to other places. That would free up some of the limited solar capacity available in developed areas to feed urban grids. As it turns out we already have a robust global distribution system for liquid fuels. Liquid fuels will remain vital because there's no possible chemistry which will allow large vehicles to run on batteries over any sort of distance. Physics (electron valence stuff) is very clearly understood, so there's not going to be any order-of-magnitude "breakthroughs" in battery tech.

That said, solar should be used where practical, obviously.
Old 07-15-2022, 12:18 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2009

Bluesteal , 03-15-2022 11:26 AM
The end of the dollar moving faster than I thought it would be....
Wow, you were wrong about that...

Why the soaring dollar and crashing euro are rattling global markets

Old 07-16-2022, 09:02 AM
Banned

Joined APC: May 2021

Quick!

Everyone buy bitcoin!!
Old 07-24-2022, 01:34 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2021

Originally Posted by Bluesteal View Post
The end of the dollar moving faster than I thought it would be....First, its important to know how the World reserve currency/petro-dollar works, then it will become easy to understand how this all works and why we have all been spoiled for many decades with a much better standard of living.

Saudi Arabia is now considering allowing China to use the Chinese Yuan to buy Oil. Further destroying the Petro-Dollar which was agreed on for many decades to purchase Oil. This is what I have warned about for a long time. You all think this inflation is bad now... there's about to be trillions and trillions, i dont even know anymore how many dollars will be looking for a new home as 25% of Oil being purchased from the Saudi's will be from the Yuan and not the dollar. Of course this is 1 step, then the next step is 50%. Then all other countries that are tired of the dollar being weaponized will then also beable to buy Oil without using the dollar.

Here comes the end of the dollar as the world reserve currency... its very soon and $300-$400Hr as a Captain will be not much money at all as the value of the dollar will plummet and buying power will be lost like we have never seen before. Our standard of living is going plummet. Like ive been saying for awhile, this is all one big spiderweb and to think sanctions will hurt Russia and Putin is just ignorance. This was all 30+ years in the making and designed to bring down the west and sadly our government(both sides of the aisle) is beyond corrupt. Buy Gold, Silver, maybe some Bitcoin, Ethereum, storable food for you and your families because our way of life is about to get destroyed. Every time the collapse of the world reserve currency happens and replaced with another currency, that country that loses it's status becomes very brutally violent (we are already seeing the beginning) as poverty skyrockets, crime rises, cost of living is not attainable by majority of population. Some other advice... all your 401k's, retirement funds will literally be worthless as it will lose all of its buying power. Consider moving some retirement funds into Gold, Crypto if its available. Bottomline, do whatever you can to get away from dollars and into hard assets. Anyone holding dollars will be left holding the bag.

I say all of this to not scare people, but to be a warning and to possibly help some people on here make some moves before it gets really bad, its already beginning, but once the dollar loses its reserve currency, its not going to be fun here. Saudi's considering moving to the Yuan and getting away from the Dollar is going to be the nail in the coffin. Inflation will become Hyper-Inflation. I'll be a happy camper when all my hard assets will not lose value while the dollar gets destroyed. Im hoping you can all do the same also. Good luck and VOTE NO on all your contracts! Being stuck on a 5yr contract sitting at $300Hr for CA and $175Hr for FO's wont be fun trying to survive with a family because it will be impossible to do.
*Bill Burr Voice*: I'mmmmmmm jusssstttt checkin in on ya - how's that all playing out for ya buddy? I'm rolling in all this delicious greenback wealth - you?
Old 07-29-2022, 07:24 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2022

Originally Posted by DropTank View Post
Quick!

Everyone buy bitcoin!!
Ermmm, how about Dogecoin?
Old 08-30-2022, 04:22 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2022
Originally Posted by journeytolegacy View Post
Ermmm, how about Dogecoin?

Dogecoin is certainly a promising cryptocurrency, but bitcoin always attracts more attention to itself. Ivan Andriyenko described it well in his Twitter account - https://twitter.com/AndrienkoIvanTU .
Old 08-30-2022, 04:09 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2009

Originally Posted by dale2T View Post
Dogecoin is certainly a promising cryptocurrency, but bitcoin always attracts more attention to itself. Ivan Andriyenko described it well in his Twitter account - https://twitter.com/AndrienkoIvanTU .
What is Bitcoin, or any of the cryptocurrencies, based on?
Do they have the backing of any sovereign country? Do they have a central banking system?
In short, what is the reality basis of their value, or even existence?
Can I buy a car with them? A house? Or must I first convert them to a currency backed by a nation state before purchasing?
When their values rise, is it due to an increased wealth of the nation, or is extractive from the productive aspect of the economy?
I am curious as I have not made any effort to really understand this phenomena, but it does leave me a bit puzzled. It appears to me to be very ephemeral, but that may be due to my ignorance of what they are based upon.
Old 08-31-2022, 05:47 PM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Originally Posted by MaxQ View Post
What is Bitcoin, or any of the cryptocurrencies, based on?
Nothing, other than the expense and effort required to "mine" them.

Their hypothetical utility is a currency which cannot be tracked, supervised, or manipulated by any government. There is some real appeal to that.

Do they have the backing of any sovereign country? Do they have a central banking system?
That would defeat the purpose.

In short, what is the reality basis of their value, or even existence?

Can I buy a car with them? A house? Or must I first convert them to a currency backed by a nation state before purchasing?
That depends on the seller... how reliable HE considers crypto to be, and also how badly he wants his finances to be opaque to city hall.

When their values rise, is it due to an increased wealth of the nation, or is extractive from the productive aspect of the economy?
No. It's due to either pure speculation, or supply vs. demand. Since crypto must be "mined" there's not an infinite supply and if the practical utility is perceived to be high then it will be in demand and value will rise. Obviously we had a big speculative bubble that just popped.

I am curious as I have not made any effort to really understand this phenomena, but it does leave me a bit puzzled. It appears to me to be very ephemeral, but that may be due to my ignorance of what they are based upon.
The fundamental potential value is freedom from .gov. That's appealing to some, mainly criminals, perverts, and tinfoil hat types.

There has recently been a lot of speculation, based on the expectation that crypto would be appealing to many and that demand would grow faster than production.
Old 08-31-2022, 08:05 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2009

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Nothing, other than the expense and effort required to "mine" them.

Their hypothetical utility is a currency which cannot be tracked, supervised, or manipulated by any government. There is some real appeal to that.

That would defeat the purpose.

That depends on the seller... how reliable HE considers crypto to be, and also how badly he wants his finances to be opaque to city hall.

No. It's due to either pure speculation, or supply vs. demand. Since crypto must be "mined" there's not an infinite supply and if the practical utility is perceived to be high then it will be in demand and value will rise. Obviously we had a big speculative bubble that just popped.

The fundamental potential value is freedom from .gov. That's appealing to some, mainly criminals, perverts, and tinfoil hat types.

There has recently been a lot of speculation, based on the expectation that crypto would be appealing to many and that demand would grow faster than production.
Thanks for the point-by-point answers Rick.

They are in line with what I thought.
As an outsider looking on, it seems a rather unstable place to park personal wealth. (unless, as you say, the point is to hide ones wealth)
It strikes me as having some similarities to a chain letter, where at some point someone is left holding the proverbial bag. Also, as it creates money from nothing, it has to be extractive/parasitic. If that is indeed the case, it is ultimately harmful to a country and its economy.