Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Career Builder > Career Questions
Regional (SKW) FO - Upgrade vs. LCC? >

Regional (SKW) FO - Upgrade vs. LCC?

Notices
Career Questions Career advice, interview prep and gouges, job fairs, etc.

Regional (SKW) FO - Upgrade vs. LCC?

Old 05-09-2022, 09:04 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2014

I signed up for the GPI program with all the carriers on there because I figured I had nothing to lose. There is nothing in there that states you can’t apply or interview outside of the program though. My worry is them changing it after the fact. What’s even more eye opening is the lack of response from my chief(s) and SAPA. No one seems to have any idea what the “fine print” is on this whole program. I wanted to get out of it, but I haven’t had any success with that.

Anyways, I don’t want to turn this into a whole different discussion, but these are all things which have led me to consider an LCC. Especially with Frontiers PHX base. I imagine it will be very senior though so it may be a moot point.
Old 05-09-2022, 03:31 PM
Perennial Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by CC268 View Post
I signed up for the GPI program with all the carriers on there because I figured I had nothing to lose. There is nothing in there that states you can’t apply or interview outside of the program though. My worry is them changing it after the fact. What’s even more eye opening is the lack of response from my chief(s) and SAPA. No one seems to have any idea what the “fine print” is on this whole program. I wanted to get out of it, but I haven’t had any success with that.

Anyways, I don’t want to turn this into a whole different discussion, but these are all things which have led me to consider an LCC. Especially with Frontiers PHX base. I imagine it will be very senior though so it may be a moot point.
if the Sprontier thing goes through you would be competing agains Frontier AND Spirit pilots for PHX.

That’s some long odds there for someone already driving to work. Especially when the first year would entail a probable pay reduction compared to Skywest CA.
Old 05-09-2022, 08:55 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2014

Originally Posted by Excargodog View Post
if the Sprontier thing goes through you would be competing agains Frontier AND Spirit pilots for PHX.

That’s some long odds there for someone already driving to work. Especially when the first year would entail a probable pay reduction compared to Skywest CA.
Yea good point. Well thanks for the feedback. I think for now I’m on the right track.