Pilot Health FAA medical; health topics

FAA Medical Special Issue Processing Times

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2022, 03:02 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2022
Default FAA Medical Special Issue Processing Times

Hi,
Does anyone have any recent experience with processing times for a medical decision assuming they have the information necessary to make the decision.
Been flying off shore for years so this is my first medical with an eye condition. Should be a pretty straight forward decision. I have a class date for a new job soon and I am worried my medical wont come through in time. I have been gone so long I have forgotten how inefficient US government departments are.
The online system says allow up to 60 business days. If that's the case I am screwed.
Also, what happens when I go to renew it. Do I need to apply 3 months before it expires?
Any insight would be much appreciated.
Old 05-12-2022, 04:38 PM
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

You need to work through an AME who handles special issuance, rather than just any AME.
Old 05-13-2022, 05:28 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2010
Position: N/A

I was told a month or two ago by AMAS that the FAA processing time was running about 10 weeks on a special issuance. I still have over a year of observation before I can submit my paperwork so I don’t know anything beyond that.
Old 05-13-2022, 07:04 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2022

Originally Posted by Duckdude View Post
I was told a month or two ago by AMAS that the FAA processing time was running about 10 weeks on a special issuance. I still have over a year of observation before I can submit my paperwork so I don’t know anything beyond that.
Thanks,
I will contact AMAS. Wish I had known about their services earlier. Might be a good resource going forward though.
Old 05-15-2022, 06:43 PM
Not home.

Joined APC: May 2018
Position: Captain

Originally Posted by Bluesky123 View Post
Thanks,
I will contact AMAS. Wish I had known about their services earlier. Might be a good resource going forward though.
I wish I had known about them earlier in my process as well.

I initially went with PMS:
https://www.leftseat.com/pilot-medic...tions-reviews/

Damn, they were awful. I got more excuses from them, regarding the backlog in OKC, if and when they would actually answer the phone.
They advertise their "connections" and how they can expedite things, yada-yada, etc....
It took over a year until I fired them.

Once I switched to PPS over at AOPA, I had a fresh SI in my hands within two weeks.
Old 05-17-2022, 05:26 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2010
Position: N/A

I’m happy with AMAS so far. They call back within a few hours and return emails within a day or two. Of course at this stage we’re just gathering records and they have told me about a few tests I need. They have even pointed out a few mistakes in my records that I got fixed. But so far it seems like we’re on track to get my medical back next year.
Old 05-17-2022, 04:15 PM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Dubh View Post
I wish I had known about them earlier in my process as well.

I initially went with PMS:
https://www.leftseat.com/pilot-medic...tions-reviews/

Damn, they were awful. I got more excuses from them, regarding the backlog in OKC, if and when they would actually answer the phone.
They advertise their "connections" and how they can expedite things, yada-yada, etc....
It took over a year until I fired them.

Once I switched to PPS over at AOPA, I had a fresh SI in my hands within two weeks.
Leftseat unfortunately has a consistently bad reputation from what I've heard.

AMAS on the other hand is the service that ALPA uses.
Old 05-24-2022, 11:18 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2006

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Leftseat unfortunately has a consistently bad reputation from what I've heard.

AMAS on the other hand is the service that ALPA uses.
Just curious, are you talking mostly about delays in getting applications filed with the faa or that results are subpar vs what amas might be able to get? I found leftseat to be short staffed and thus taking longer than expected in getting everything in order. However so far my Impression was that dr H is very knowledgeable and I’m hoping the result will be a positive response from the Faa regarding a special issuance.
Old 05-24-2022, 03:38 PM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by CFI2766 View Post
Just curious, are you talking mostly about delays in getting applications filed with the faa or that results are subpar vs what amas might be able to get? I found leftseat to be short staffed and thus taking longer than expected in getting everything in order. However so far my Impression was that dr H is very knowledgeable and I’m hoping the result will be a positive response from the Faa regarding a special issuance.
No personal experience with LS, and no axe to grind but I recall a number of complaints over the years. YYMV.
Old 07-31-2022, 01:28 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2015
Position: B-767 Captain
Smile IMPORTANT FAA medical Phone #'s.

Originally Posted by Bluesky123 View Post
Hi,
Does anyone have any recent experience with processing times for a medical decision assuming they have the information necessary to make the decision.
Been flying off shore for years so this is my first medical with an eye condition. Should be a pretty straight forward decision. I have a class date for a new job soon and I am worried my medical wont come through in time. I have been gone so long I have forgotten how inefficient US government departments are.
The online system says allow up to 60 business days. If that's the case I am screwed.
Also, what happens when I go to renew it. Do I need to apply 3 months before it expires?
Any insight would be much appreciated.
A couple of good important phone numbers here. The AMAS medical is the MOST helpful for sure. These doctors have a good rapport with the FAA doctors.

-- Dr. Chuck Tedder (ALPA AMAS Medical) (303) 341-4435 (leave a voicemail IF no answer)
-- FAA Special Issuance Medicals (405) 954-4821, dial 1

Good luck! Be very persistent and be somewhat patient. Talk nicely. It'll get you further as frustrating as this process can be! Been there done that!