Notices

UAL Reserve Rules

Old 05-16-2022, 01:40 PM
-- | --

Joined APC: Nov 2017
Default UAL Reserve Rules

It's been a while since I've sat reserve (global or domestic) but I understand it's something many hope to see improved in a future contract. Where do folks feel our current reserve rules fall short/where do they hope to see them improved. Does a gold standard exist, if so what does it look like?
Old 05-16-2022, 02:34 PM
Banned

Joined APC: May 2022

Originally Posted by bingo17 View Post
It's been a while since I've sat reserve (global or domestic) but I understand it's something many hope to see improved in a future contract. Where do folks feel our current reserve rules fall short/where do they hope to see them improved. Does a gold standard exist, if so what does it look like?
Don’t worry, nothing will change. Leadership didn’t even poll us on ANY parts of the contract, so why would reserve rules change? The important people aren’t on reserve. Most of the idiots here believe being on reserve is a choice.
Old 05-16-2022, 02:35 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2015

Originally Posted by AlettaOcean View Post
Don’t worry, nothing will change. Leadership didn’t even poll us on ANY parts of the contract, so why would reserve rules change? The important people aren’t on reserve. Most of the idiots here believe being on reserve is a choice.
I did a poll about 2 years ago I think.. just prior to COVID. Times have changed since then obviously but I did take a poll.
Old 05-16-2022, 02:40 PM
Banned

Joined APC: May 2022

Originally Posted by Broncofan View Post
I did a poll about 2 years ago I think.. just prior to COVID. Times have changed since then obviously but I did take a poll.
I was aware of one poll, but it was so long ago I couldn’t even remember when it was. At any rate, I doubt they even took any of it into account. Kirby wrote the contract, Hamilton signs it.
Old 05-16-2022, 04:01 PM
-- | --

Joined APC: Nov 2017

Fixing reserve rules seems like a potential win-win for the pilots and the company. The recent unfilled captain vacancies indicate a problem exists. If U wants to resolve said problem, it seems they have three options: (1) increase pay to a point where pilots are willing to suck up unfavorable reserve rules (high cost); (2) rely on TDY coverage (unpredictable); (3) amend the reserve rules (not sure what the impact/cost would be...would amending reserve rules be expensive?).

Having more folks upgrade to the left seat or to a widebody assignment appears to benefit both sides of the negotiating table, so why would this be so hard to iron out?
Old 05-16-2022, 05:13 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2005
Position: Off to the left!

Field standby needs to go away. Assigning everyone to short call simply because they can needs to change. Needs to be more transparency about where minimum reserve numbers come from. That would be a start.
Old 05-16-2022, 06:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2018

Originally Posted by eagleatr View Post
Field standby needs to go away. Assigning everyone to short call simply because they can needs to change. Needs to be more transparency about where minimum reserve numbers come from. That would be a start.
^^^ this - there needs to be way more accountability on reserve numbers. And the “cost” of short calls do the company need to be raised significantly. It’s just to inexpensive for them to exercise the option value of having people hang around at the airport.
Old 05-16-2022, 06:38 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007

Huge issue is global reserve. When you bid and are awarded weekends off (or any other day for that matter), then they don’t use you all week but roll you into a trip over said weekend off just because “global reserve”, that is a problem. Why do you even bid? They cannot do this with regular reserve (except for FDOs) so why is it a thing with global?

Another point is them converting everyone to short call just because they can. I have a buddy that got converted to SC tomorrow and he quite literally is not even legal for most anything but they did it because…they can. Another friend of mine went 2.5 months without flying but was converted to short call most weeks with zero opentime. He was ok with it because he lived in base so whatever but me, as a commuter, that is a ton of money spent on either crashpads or hotels for absolutely no reason other than “they can”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2022, 08:13 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006

Originally Posted by eagleatr View Post
Personally I can see the value to the operation of FSBY. I wouldn’t say it should go away; I just think we need to be better compensated for it.
Old 05-16-2022, 08:28 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2009
Position: B757 clear left.

If they roll my weekend or weekday off, I should get 100% add pay above guarantee. It’s complete BS what they do. FUPM