2019-AA A321 wing strike departing JFK

Subscribe
1  2  3  4 
Page 3 of 4
Go to
Quote: Two 58 year olds scraped a wing and almost cartwheeled an A320 on takeoff because of poor crosswind control, and were hanging onto the tail of the plane trying to figure out what happened. But by all means, let's raise the retirement age.

So we should move the retirement age to 57? You have zero evidence age played a factor, and I’m only a bit over halfway to that age so I’m not trying to defend myself. This captain was one that slipped through the cracks.
Quote: So we should move the retirement age to 57? You have zero evidence age played a factor, and I’m only a bit over halfway to that age so I’m not trying to defend myself. This captain was one that slipped through the cracks.
And you have zero evidence it didn't. Sit down.

Quote: Do you think he was a crappy pilot for decades and got lucky or do you think he was a decent pilot at one point until age got the best of him?
This. Ya think he just didn't know how to apply rudder in an Airbus in a crosswind and squeaked by all these years? Or ya think he just got confused/distracted and stomped the wrong pedal trying to straighten it out? Good thing he didn't lose an engine at V1. Cognitive decline is real and insidious.
Quote: Two 58 year olds scraped a wing and almost cartwheeled an A320 on takeoff because of poor crosswind control, and were hanging onto the tail of the plane trying to figure out what happened. But by all means, let's raise the retirement age.
We should probably raise the minimum Total Time to 31000 hours these two have. That extra time flying in the pattern in a 150 would come in handy.
Quote: We should probably raise the minimum Total Time to however many 1000’s of hours these two have. That extra time flying in the pattern in a 150 would come in handy.
yes, and ban assault rudders.
Ahhh. I can’t wait for you to turn 58! 🤣
Flown with a lot of 65-73+ year olds in the fractional world. Watched a number of them slowly lose it in their last few years. None of them were in decline at 58. They may have not possessed great airmanship at that age, but it wasn’t decline.
A better summary would be “two career FO’s almost cartwheel an A321, one of them happened to be sitting in the left seat.”

Easy to scrape by and slip through the cracks in the right seat a major.

Take a look at the time breakdown. Captain had over 19k total time and less than 3k PIC in all aircraft types.
An FO should still be able to conduct a crosswind takeoff.

Maybe not a professional bunkie.
Quote: A better summary would be “two career FO’s almost cartwheel an A321, one of them happened to be sitting in the left seat.”

Easy to scrape by and slip through the cracks in the right seat a major.

Take a look at the time breakdown. Captain had over 19k total time and less than 3k PIC in all aircraft types.
That's got USAir written all over it.
Quote: An FO should still be able to conduct a crosswind takeoff.

Maybe not a professional bunkie.
You have a life, or wife?
1  2  3  4 
Page 3 of 4
Go to