Search
Notices
Military Military Aviation

Pelosi arrives

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2022, 07:00 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2010
Position: DOWNGRADE COMPLETE: Thanks Gary. Thanks SWAPA.

Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
Anything that antagonizes the CCP is good with me. I'm generally not a fan of our middle east/Levant "allies", nor our general foreign policy for the last 40 years, but when it comes to the CCP, I'm unusually hawkish. That organization and their socio-cultural ethos of control/governance is nothing I want expanding into our sphere of living. I rather live with the warts of our [American] empire misgivings, than a CCP Chinese one. Thankfully their demographics are crushing their ability to project power in the next 5-10 years.
Now that ^^^^ deserves a toast.
Old 08-03-2022, 07:10 PM
Occasional box hauler

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by WHACKMASTER View Post
Now that ^^^^ deserves a toast.
I’ll second that
Old 08-03-2022, 08:36 PM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by John Carr View Post
I'm sure someone knows, I didn't really follow much. But why the Speaker of the House and NOT the Sec State?
If the visit was not coordinated with the WH... Nancy is a member of the legislative branch, and is mostly free to do what she wants. The executive (the administration) isn't her boss. The executive can forbid US citizens from traveling to specific countries for national security reasons, but that's an extreme measure. And it cannot be selectively applied to specific individuals, it would legally have to be all or nothing. Most famously, Cuba.

If the visit was coordinated with the WH (appears that it was)... a congress person is actually less inflammatory than SECSTATE. The former is an elected rep of one congressional district. The later is a member of the executive, and the direct rep of POTUS and the United States.

Nancy sends a stronger message than a junior congress critter from Oklahoma. But not as strong a message as SECSTATE, VPOTUS, or the man himself.
Old 08-03-2022, 10:03 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2021

But why the Speaker of the House and NOT the Sec State?
I'll take "Who participates in a congressional delegation? For 100".
Old 08-04-2022, 12:15 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2009

Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
Anything that antagonizes the CCP is good with me. I'm generally not a fan of our middle east/Levant "allies", nor our general foreign policy for the last 40 years, but when it comes to the CCP, I'm unusually hawkish. That organization and their socio-cultural ethos of control/governance is nothing I want expanding into our sphere of living. I rather live with the warts of our [American] empire misgivings, than a CCP Chinese one. Thankfully their demographics are crushing their ability to project power in the next 5-10 years.
Has someone been listening to Peter Zeihan?
Old 08-04-2022, 08:11 AM
All is fine at .79

Joined APC: Sep 2016
Position: Paahlot

Originally Posted by Dolphinflyer View Post
Reminds me of a scene at a bar where two groups of guys who really don't get along, mutually keep separated and drink peacefully knowing chit would start immediately if either side starts a move.

All is peaceful until someone's idiot girfriend starts mouthing off to the other side without a clue as to what she is doing or who she is fck-ing with.

I have know problem with a fight with a good reason, not for BS politics which is exactly what she is doing.
What a stupidly misogynistic opinion.
Old 08-04-2022, 10:51 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
If the visit was not coordinated with the WH... Nancy is a member of the legislative branch, and is mostly free to do what she wants. The executive (the administration) isn't her boss. The executive can forbid US citizens from traveling to specific countries for national security reasons, but that's an extreme measure. And it cannot be selectively applied to specific individuals, it would legally have to be all or nothing. Most famously, Cuba.

If the visit was coordinated with the WH (appears that it was)... a congress person is actually less inflammatory than SECSTATE. The former is an elected rep of one congressional district. The later is a member of the executive, and the direct rep of POTUS and the United States.

Nancy sends a stronger message than a junior congress critter from Oklahoma. But not as strong a message as SECSTATE, VPOTUS, or the man himself.
That all makes sense to people with democratic governing principles.

But does China ACTUALLY care about all that?

Originally Posted by TiredSoul View Post
What a stupidly misogynistic opinion.
Yet steeped in reality.
Old 08-04-2022, 12:18 PM
Occasional box hauler

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by Hobbit64 View Post
Has someone been listening to Peter Zeihan?
Who is Peter Zeihan?

A number of news articles have been floating around for close to a decade discussing how the combination of China’s one child policy and the crippling cost of raising a child in China’s urban areas was crushing their birth rate. One predicted China’s population would crash this century to below that of the US. If current demographic trends continue in China, it could be very destabilizing for all of east Asia.
Old 08-04-2022, 01:43 PM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

That all makes sense to people with democratic governing principles.

But does China ACTUALLY care about all that?
I don't know if the PRC cares. I was explaining it to someone who asked.

But PRC understands the distinction, they are by no means oblivious to the nature of their enemy. Sun Tzu was one of them.
Old 08-04-2022, 05:23 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2009

Originally Posted by tnkrdrvr View Post
Who is Peter Zeihan?

A number of news articles have been floating around for close to a decade discussing how the combination of China’s one child policy and the crippling cost of raising a child in China’s urban areas was crushing their birth rate. One predicted China’s population would crash this century to below that of the US. If current demographic trends continue in China, it could be very destabilizing for all of east Asia.
He’s a geopolitical strategist that gives talks on the exact stuff you mentioned. That’s why I thought you’d heard of him.
I started watching / listening to his stuff since the start of the Ukraine invasion and I was pretty impressed by his predictions coming true on its ramifications.
Here’s a talk he gave to the Army’s Maneuver Warfare Center a while back. Pretty interesting stats and exploration of the second and third order effects we may face. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0CQsifJrMc
apologies for the drift.