Notices
Military Military Aviation

VA Disability recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2022, 06:53 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2017
Position: NYC 7ERA

70% after fighting for years (they denied my 2 big ticket items, Sleep Apnea and back issues blaming both on me being "morbidly obese" at 6'4" 225#)

I get $1770ish a month (70%,married with a certain disability that pays a flat rate on top of whatever %)

Pays for my toys. As in truck payment, camper payment, insurance on both and dirtbike parts.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Old 10-27-2023, 11:48 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2022
Position: 73FO

Can anyone recommend a FAA/FC1 savvy VSO to appeal a claim ruling?

I got my disability rating back and I got 70% for joints/neck/back aches and pains. That's great, but my hearing loss and tinnitus claims were denied because I missed the appointment, and around the 10th phone call trying to get it rescheduled, the VA ruled on my claim. I was told it's no big deal, I can appeal that decision, and I'm sure I'll get an appointment and that will be fine. But if I'm going to appeal the decision anyways, I would like to have a pro look over my records and see if there is anything missed or out of line, and I want to make sure I'm not hosing myself by being talked into pushing for something that will jeopardize my class 1. Any recommendations are appreciated!
Old 11-03-2023, 07:27 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by BlueScholar View Post
Can anyone recommend a FAA/FC1 savvy VSO to appeal a claim ruling?

I got my disability rating back and I got 70% for joints/neck/back aches and pains. That's great, but my hearing loss and tinnitus claims were denied because I missed the appointment, and around the 10th phone call trying to get it rescheduled, the VA ruled on my claim. I was told it's no big deal, I can appeal that decision, and I'm sure I'll get an appointment and that will be fine. But if I'm going to appeal the decision anyways, I would like to have a pro look over my records and see if there is anything missed or out of line, and I want to make sure I'm not hosing myself by being talked into pushing for something that will jeopardize my class 1. Any recommendations are appreciated!
If you can't find such a person, you could contact an aeromed consultant such as AMAS and have them review whatever the VSO comes up with.

For the most part the FAA is very tolerant of muscular/skeletal issues, and normal getting old stuff. This guy would have no problem getting a 1C, as long as he didn't admit to drinking too much rum

Neurological, cardio-vascular, mental health, PTSD, TBI, OSA, addiction, and anything LOC tend to be the common red flags which make FAA certification problematic for vets.

You can also review this FAA doc, it has some detailed certification criteria for AME's to use in the field. Anything which exceeds these tolerances, or isn't specifically addressed, will presumably be deferred to the FAA for decision.

https://www.faa.gov/ame_guide/app_process/exam_tech